1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carpe Noctem's Vampire Amongst Us Roleplay / Whodunnit

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Disciple of Nagash, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Disciple of Nagash
    Skink

Disciple of Nagash New Member

Greeting's unpleasant-tasting scaly things!

Whilst your cold blood is not to our taste, perhaps we can still enjoy out time together. I'm pleased to announce that Carpe Noctem is planning on running one of our favourite activities: Vampire's Amongst Us! (VAU).

A murder-mystery roleplay, it revolves around a collection of people imprisoned together, and night after night they are being killed off by a vampire. Can you guess who it is and vote for their death before he kills you all?

Sound fun? The pop in a mini-bio in our sign-up thread

If you want to know more, here are the full rules copied over from that sign-up thread:

What is Vampires Amongst Us (VAU)?

This is a roleplaying game where each player makes up a character. You can be anyone that would reasonably be in a location with other people, some kind of social gathering. However unknown to everyone, some of the players will actually be vampires, and the aim of the game is to figure out who!

Players try and figure this out in-character during the roleplay, by speaking to one another, reading their responses and so on. A key point is that you can only post what other characters can see, unlike other RP's you cannot post any internal monologue etc. The Games Master will create some scenario where your characters can’t escape, and your only chance is to vote someone to death each day, hopefully correctly selecting the vampires!

The vampires will, of course, be trying to waylay suspicion, make others look suspicious. However in this VAU not all the vampires will be working together, nor will they all be aware who are vampires or humans.

What makes this game fun is that the vampires and some other special characters have abilities described below, which can really turn the game on its head and keep people guessing!

So how does this work in practice? There are Day and Night cycles as described:

Day Cycle - This lasts for a number of days in real life (TBC)
    All players can post and speak to one another. By the end of the Day Cycle, characters must have cast their vote for someone to die, or lose their vote - in previous VAUs, not voting has ended up with casting suspicion! There must be a minimum of two votes for a person to die, with the Games Master having the deciding vote in a tie

Night Cycle - This lasts for a number of days in real life (TBC)
    All vampires and players with abilities must PM the Games Master with what actions they are taking

So, each evening when someone is voted to death, and likely each morning with the vampires, players will die.

The game is over when all the non-vampires are dead, or all the vampires have been found!

Rules

• Statuses will be assigned via PM, if you have not received a PM from me by the time the game starts, then you are a normal human.
    • You cannot reveal who you are to another member via posting or via PM, with the exception of vampires who are in the same group who may PM each other. Anyone spoiling the game in this fashion will be seen to be breaking forum rules and treated accordingly.
    • Refrain from posting your character's thoughts – this is not a story. You should only post what other characters can actually see/ hear/feel etc.

Statuses - Depending on the number of players will depend on how many we use

The Host
    Is me. Does not take an active part in the game apart from narration or to stir things up. Does not vote at all, except when the Host’s Ear power is used or in the event of a tie.

Vampire
    The bad guys. A number of players will be these, based in the total number of players. If more than two, they will normally be organised into groups. They can discuss via PM if in the same group and can choose to kill any one character (except the host) during the night. If there are more than one group of vampires, they will all PM me, and I will take it in turn amongst the groups, and yes a vampire could end up killing another vampire.
    When choosing someone to kill, they must nominate one vampire player to be the killer for that night. Vampires may be given hidden powers…..however, they will also be given a tell, something small that if other players are reading carefully may catch them out.

Human
    The food. Most players will be these. They can be of any description. They have no powers except the ability to vote for someone to die at the ends of the day.

The Secret Lovers
    Two random players will be chosen to be these, possibly even a human and a vampire. They must try and keep each other from being voted for death / or killed if a vampire (though they cannot tell the other vampires or indeed tell one another if one or more is a vampire), whilst the other still lives, however they cannot say they are lovers in the game, nor can they discuss via PM.

The Witch Hunter
    One human will be chosen to be the Witch Hunter, with the experience to find one of the dead. Once per night he PM me and state he will either just investigate a player, or investigate and kill his target immediately.
    If he just investigates, he will be advised if his target is a vampire or not. If his target is a vampire he may then use this to vote the next day, and try and convince others, however, he cannot state how he came by this knowledge. However, the vampire is now warned and so in following nights, the Witch Hunter may not select to kill him.
    If he decides to take the risk, the target player is automatically killed. If it was a vampire the Witch Hunter has chosen well. If it is a human, however, the Witch Hunter is overcome with remorse and may not use his abilities any further in this game.

Guardian Angel
    This character has a touch of the divine, and they have taken up the roll to protect others. At any point before the night ends (before I have written up the death), they can choose to protect someone. They do this by PM'ing me the name of the person they protect. If they successfully chose the same person as the vampires, that person is saved from death. The vampire is also revealed to the Guardian Angel. He may then use this to vote the next day, and try and convince others, however he cannot state how he came by this knowledge.
    The Guardian Angel may choose to protect themselves, but they cannot protect the same player twice in a row.

Unwilling Minion
    This character is being blackmailed by the vampires to do their will, though he does not know who is dark masters really area.
    All the vampires will be told who is this character, however they cannot reveal this to anyone else. Once per game,at any point during the day discussion they may choose to make the Minion accuse another player and cast a vote against him. This is done by PM'ing me who will advise the player. That vote then cannot be changed for that day, nor can the Minion do anything to show he acted against his will.
    As there are groups of different vampires, it is first come first serve. Therefore the vampires will have to be careful not to let another use the minion, but also not use him in waste.
    Once used the Unwilling Minion stands up for himself and cannot be used again.

The Host's Ear
    This character has secret connections to the host, and thus is trusted. He can if needs be, call on his lord's favour if the need arises.
    Once per game the player can PM me and ask for the Host to add his vote, against a player of his choosing. Such is the Host's influence his vote counts as two votes.

2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

It sounds cool, i would like to know if some member of LO is interested in joining it!

3. Disciple of Nagash
    Skink

Disciple of Nagash New Member

Come on LO RP'ers, I hear you guys love a good story, come and show us how it's done ;)