8th Ed. Chameleons!

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by lillemakken, Oct 5, 2012.

1. lillemakken
    Jungle Swarm

lillemakken New Member

Hello!

Just a quick question;

Pretend that a unit of Chameleons is in base contact with a stone wall(A medium-sized one which would make it possible for units to shoot over)

How big is my enemy's penalty for shooting against them under this condition?

Will enemy shooters get a -4; penalty altogether due to Skirmishers(-1), Chameleons(-1) and Hard Cover(-2)?

How about from inside a forest? Do I have line of sight penalties from inside the forest or is the whole forest counted as a big eye?

Thanks,

- lillemakken

2. Durandal
    Cold One

Durandal Member

Yes, it is -4, along with any other (moving and shooting, long range, etc.).

3. Kharn The Betrayer
    Razordon

Kharn The Betrayer New Member

This is the kind of thing that made my opponents stop shooting at my camo skinks

4. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

For your question on forests, if you are drawing line of sight out of a forest that you are in, then there is no penalty for shooting. I wouldn't say the whole forest acts as an "eye." You still have to measure from the models that are shooting and you still have to consider their forward arc.

Read page 119 of the BRB for more on that.

5. lillemakken
    Jungle Swarm

lillemakken New Member

So basically if I move my Chameleons inside a forest and place the models right into the middle of some thick tree bodies, I can shoot at enemies outside the forest but they can't shoot back because I'm not in line of sight due to the forest not giving any line of sight penalty from inside out?

Because the Enemy needs a line of sight to shoot at the Chameleons, he cannot shoot at all because the tree is in the way, but the Chamelon can shoot even if his snout is stuck right up in the middle of that thick tree log? Seems OP :D

6. Rhodium
    Kroxigor

Rhodium New Member

What kind of forests are you using as terrain?? I guess if you could hide the chamos completely you might have a point but I have never seen a forest where you could hide a whole unit from line of sight specially TLoS.

7. lillemakken
    Jungle Swarm

lillemakken New Member

Nothing atm, but I was speaking in theory. In theory, if there's one thicker tree, it should be possible to move the chameleons completely away from a unit's LoS. If the enemy walks to the side, you move the chameleon to the opposite side of the thick tree.

Get what I mean?

8. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

If you can draw a line of sight from the chameleons to the enemy unit then obviously the line is not uni-directional. The enemy can also see the chameleons if the chameleons are in their forward arc. Hiding behind trees (if they were actually big enough to do so) would simply eliminate LOS for everyone involved.

9. Hebus
    Saurus

Hebus Member

Forest does not block LoS

10. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

You're correct, but you would need a really big tree to essentially block LOS from where he is, and where he can get to with his movement.

Its just better to use a big rock, or a wall, or something. Or get around behind him, that works too.