8th Ed. character optional mounts points from hero or special ?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by spawning of Bob, May 28, 2011.

1. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

Hi all,

If a skink chief takes a stegadon mount, do the points for the mount add to the total of Hero army points or of special army points ?

And if they are hero points, how on earth do you fit an engine of gods with skink priest into a smaller army ?

(I don't want to leave home without my scar veteran)

Thanks,

2. The  Omen
    Saurus

The Omen New Member

Points come from the Heros section - and you don't fit an engine into small games without making some serious sacrifices - but thats kinda the point.

3. Quicksilver
    Skink

Quicksilver New Member

Is it me, or do engines of the gods have some serious setbacks?

Every time I bring one it gets rocklobba-sniped on turn 1 !!

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to 8th edition. You need to provide multiple targets for the war machines. If you are fortunate enough to get the first turn, you can use spells to protect them (or at least maybe kill them with chemeleons). Pha's protectiong and the net of Amyntok (from light) will effectively shut down most war machines. Ice shard blizzard (signature heavens spell) also shuts down war machines.

Another way to look at it would be to say that every shot at the steg is not a shot into your combat units or salamanders.

5. Quicksilver
    Skink

Quicksilver New Member

Seems irritating though, because that means you end up having to use your engine to portent of warding its way to safety, not using arcane configuration like I need it for :/

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

The idea is to tie up or take out those war machines in your first turn (or second turn). Then you are free to use the arcane configuration. I have very rarely used it in turn 2. Usually, I am in place by turn 3 to use it, so that is the plan that I use. Even in lower point games (1500-2000), I will take as many chameleons as I can fit in the list. At the very least, it will irritate my opponent into sending one or two units after them. They will always flee, but I take them knowing that they are expendable.

7. venom_x51
    Saurus

venom_x51 New Member

imo you should be able to turn on shield-like abilities before the game starts, like the EoTG ward save, or the Cauldron of Blood buff (and possibly others).

Hold on lads, not yet, wait for it... get ready. Damn!! they shot us!! We so should have put our shields up before we got in range for their war machines...

8. Quicksilver
    Skink

Quicksilver New Member

Damnit!! Had yet another game where the steg got turned into red paste before the game even began!!! What a pain!! Stupid empire.