8th Ed. Charge bonuses

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by jormi_boced, Aug 12, 2010.

1. jormi_boced
    Ripperdactil

jormi_boced New Member

So here is the situation.

My opponent's DPs overrun into a skink unit. I then countercharge them in the flank with my saurus with spears. I challenge with my Scar Vet and he accepts wiht his noble. Does he get a strength bonus for his lance? He did charge on his turn, but it was against the skinks and my saurus actually charged him, so I should definitely get a charge bonus, but do both of us get them then?

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I think that he does get the charge bonus (yours cancels out his I believe). He should only get the charge bonus on the skinks as that is the unit he charged. Fluff wise, look at it like this.

His unit charges the much weaker skinks (not seeing the saurus on the flank). You counter charge (but he is already committed to the charge). You issue the challenge, he accepts. That removes him from the initial charge to face the greater threat. No more Str bonus.

My thoughts.

3. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

its in the BRB under pursuing into enemy units (i think) both unit get all charge bonuses (impact hits, spears, lances, +1 cr, etc) but to +1 cr cancells each other out, basically, the same thing as in 7th

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I always played it like the first charging unit chooses to either attack the unit they charged (they definitely will get charge bonuses) or attack the new unit that charged them (they won't get charge bonuses) so it depends on who they attacked. I assumed that was the right way to do it, but again I don't have the book here... I think it was in one of the 7th ed FAQs ruled like that?

5. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

naah. it was in the 7th ed rulebook. all units got charging bonuses then aswell. with a nice example of chariots causing impact hits on models that charged them if they were to the units front (and no toher models in base to base, i think, not sure they had to be the ONLY models in base to base)