8th Ed. Charge rules.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Idura, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Idura
    Saurus

Idura New Member

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/97/lizardpaint.jpg/

So here's the deal. I declare a charge with both the kroxes and the slann-TG... The high elf player chooses to flee from the kroxes effectively taking him outside the charge arc of the slann-TG. What happens? Do the charges happen at the same time allowing both my units to charge? Where does the Lions flee if thats the case? Downwards? away from kroxes?

Help me out :).

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Because the white lions are in the charge arc at the start of the turn, both units would get to charge. You get the free wheel that would allow the TG to follow them. The white lions would flee away from the Kroxigors.

3. Idura
    Saurus

Idura New Member

Thank you :).

4. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Also if there was any viable units you could have redirected the charge to one of them.

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Hmm I'm 99% sure that you choose the order of charges in your turn, thus you could equaly choose to resolve the TG/Slann first, which would almost thow the unit into your kroxigors. You should be choosing the order, not him.

6. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Nope that was a 7th edition rule, doesn't work that way anymore in 8th

7. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

With all the rule changes from 7th to 8th edition, it's a bit hard to remember for myself. lol. Heck.. I still have rules from 5th, 6th, and 7th in my head.. let alone remembering 8th. I've wrote many of the changes down, but can anyone point out a link or .pdf of just the changes from 7th to 8th? Also, knowing the changes from each edition would be pretty cool just to see the direction taken from years (decades) past.

8. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

Wouldn't they flee from the TG because they're the bigger unit? or am I just thinking of the flee/pursue from multiple units rules?

9. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

In 8th, you handle charges one at a time. Specifically you declare one charge and resolve the charge reaction, then declare another charge and resolve reaction, ... This is explained in the box on the bottom left of page 16 (small rule book if it matters), and in the bold text under CHARGE REACTION on the same page.

So in this example, if you charged with the Krox first and the enemy fled out of the TG's line of site, then you are out of luck. The TG don't have a valid target to declare a charge.

10. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Yep, I see that now, however you would roll your charge distance at the same time pg.23. So I was wrong on the reactions, but right on the charging itself. Good to know though

11. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

You're right. I guess you declare your charges and reactions one at a time, but actually do the movements after all declarations. So which unit would they flee from?

12. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Actually, just reading the rules, you declare charge, React to the charge, then repeat until all charges are completed. In the case of fleeing as a reaction, the fleeing unit must about-face and roll AND move their flee distance before the next charge is started.

13. Benny6Toes
    Saurus

Benny6Toes New Member

What Cedric said.

1) Declare charge.
    2) Resolve charge reaction.
    3) Declare next charge.
    4) Repeat Steps 2 and 3 until all charges have been declared.
    5) Resolve charges.

So while you would determine the order in which charges are declared and executed, they get to resolve their charge reactions before you actually try to complete your charges.

In the original post, if the Lions are outside the charge arc of the Temple Guard when it's the TG's turn to declare, then they can't declare a charge.

If the TG declare the charge first, then the Lions could elect to hold, then elect to flee from the Kroxigor charge. If this takes them outside of the charge arc of the TG, then the TG can elect to redirect (only once) to another viable charge target, or they can attempt to complete the charge; which they will fail automatically.

As far as reactions go, you can declare to hold against any number of charges and then flee against the last declared charge. You can also declare a stand and shoot against a charge and then elect to flee from another charge. However, once a flee reaction is declared, you must flee from any subsequent charges.

Sometimes you can use the charge order to great effect by driving opponents off the table or into other chargers (NOTE: this will likely piss off your opponent beasue they weren't paying attention). Having done this to people before, I can tell you it's pretty fun when you're not on the receiving end of it. :bored: