8th Ed. Charging and Forests

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Dog On Todd, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Hello everyone,

So I recently played a game where I goofed up in deployment as I had a different understanding of forests than my opponent.

Can ranked units without forest-strider charge through a forest? Is there honestly no penalty?

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

the penalty is that they probably get hurt (hazards terrain), and will loose steadfast if still in the forest,
    but yea there's no movement penalty.

3. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Hurt only if chariots/cavalry/monsters?

That's very frustrating. I'm going to push for more walls and terrain that actually affect things other than -1 for shooting

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Nah he means the random terrain rules. When you enter a forest for the first time in a game (including deployment) you roll a d6 for what type of woods it is. There is a table around page 120 of the BRB with what they are. One option is normal woods, the others do various things like granting poisoned attacks or more likely hurting you if you end your movement in the forest.

But yeah charging out of or moving through is no problem anymore.

5. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

8th is still pretty hit or miss for me.. And my group hasn't been playing with those random environment things, as they take some of the strategy out of the game.

A close ranked unit should not be able to charge/march/move freely through a thick forest without any movement penalty.. and TLoS sucks when I have some 1995 models mixed in with more recent models.

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I usually house rule it that you can't see through forest anyway.
    I makes the whole issue simpler.

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah every group modifies as they like. I don't think the random forest actually ruins tactics too much since most of the effects are quite minor, but I don't particularly like the randomness that much either. I can't understand how only 1 in every 6 trees in the warhammer world are actual normal trees. And don't get me started on the rivers.... A unit can't tell that a river is made of lava until they step into it and start burning?!?