8th Ed. Charmed Shield

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Qupakoco, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

The Charmed Shield entry on BRB page 502 says,

Two questions with this entry:

1) Does the Charmed Shield still work as a regular shield after the 2+ save?

2) Do they really mean 2+ vs the first hit suffered? To me that means a unit of archers could knock off the shield with a half-hearted volley, leaving your character exposed to cannon fire.

I have been playing contently knowing that my SV Cowboy is safe from cannonballs for a round or two, but now I'm not so sure. After re-reading the entry for the Charmed Shield (pointed out to me by my wife of all people, lol) I now see that the book specifically says one use only and the first hit. (as opposed to the first wound) Am I reading this right? I checked the FAQ and didn't see anything useful.

Thanks for the help.

2. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

1) yes. also note that the "2+ against the first hit" works even if you are in close combat and are using a great weapon

2) yes. if they have archers they can potentially waste the shield. thats one of the reasons it is so cheap.

The cowboy is still a very good model to have. dont worry overly much about it tbh. If your opponent shoots at your cowboy with his cannon, he can not shoot at the stegadon at the same time :)

3. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Gotcha. I was treating this item more or less the same as the Amulet of Itzl with a 2++ save that went away after use, including the +1 AS.

Thanks again.