1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas table toppings, gifts and gaming.

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by jinjerJosh22, Dec 17, 2022.

1. jinjerJosh22
    Temple Guard

jinjerJosh22 Well-Known Member

As a (fellow)adult child and since it is Christmas time I decided to treat myself to a larger boxed set that I probably wouldn't pick up otherwise. This led to days of looking around everywhere, picking various combinations to fit a rather tight budget whist trying to avoid paying extra for delivery. This irks me so much, paying 7-8 euros for something that already cost so much, it really makes the cheaper single purchases less attractive (works as a postman).

The boxed set that got me in this mood was the new MESBG box :Battle for Osgiliath.
    While being quite expensive I had some credit on a store that had the pre-order available, however it was still a substantial purchase and one that needed the blessing of the better half and that did not come readily. After much discussion of how this was the greatest thing to exist, I mean look at the terrain and the Gondor army and lets ignore the half that I basically own from the big box I got last Christmas. After much work I was able to soften her position ever so slightly but to my dismay it was sold out! A pre order was sold out, this blew my mind as a concept but sure I guess they only had a few as they are a 3rd party retailer.

Needless to say I was disappointed and looked for something to fill that void and then on a second hand website I saw it, the board game I had looked into months ago with no success, the Dark Souls Board game base set and at a fairly reasonable price tag. Hope was there and on top of that my wife seeing this said she would buy it as a present as she knew how much this meant to me. I messaged the person only to be told they had recently sold it and had not yet updated the post, back to despair. I know people say Dark Souls Is a hard game but do they really mean it in this way?

I decided to carry on my quest to find the Board game looking on the companies website and then I saw it, they only last month brought out two new core sets and they were available to order! Admittedly considerably less attractive than the original but none the less Dark Souls. Joy, hope, celebration except there was a caveat... there is two to choose from :banghead:

Well I hope you enjoyed my little journey :p I'm not a particularly good writer but this was a little experience I wanted to share. I ended up with the Tomb of the Giant box. Hated the place in the game, those bone dogs are unrelenting, though my ability to speed run it is fairly decent now, it's better when you don't have to fight anything :D This will be my first dive into non GW miniatures and I am very much looking forward to it.
    It helps that it is an IP that I am very much familiar with.

Feel free to post anything you get for Christmas or anything you plan on getting hobby wise or not.
    Actually I made a thread like this on another forum, where we would post about upcoming purchases, not sure if that is already on this forum but it was always a fun topic so feel free to post non Holiday specific gets. ;)

2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Amazing write up!

I'm on a buying freeze at the moment, so we will wait until after Christmas to pick up the Blood Bowl Season 2 box set. Can't paint right now anyway, but going to print a few things for the grey pile of shame.

3. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

Well my mum has got me the McFarlane Genestealer (Paint your own) for Christmas. Will be fun to paint in my army's fleet colours.
    When I eventually open it and get the time to paint it of course.

Other than that, I don't know if I'm getting any other hobby stuff, the rest of the family is weird for it, they know I have Warhammer and tabletop as my hobby but they like to make a strong steer away from it. Even paint I would appreciate, especially how I have an airbrush now.

Well I will have to see what happens, in the new year I might get myself one of those Battleforce boxes if they are still available then I am saving up for the hobby shed to be made.