8th Ed. Combat reforming a character out of close combat.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Ondjage, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

Example:

My opponents level 4 high liche priest is placed in a unit of 20 skeleton archers, they are placed in a 10-wide formation.

I charge them with a salamander, and of course I place the salamander in base contact with the level 4 caster hoping I can kill him.

The caster survives the first round of combat.

So:

Can my opponent make a combat reform, and move the caster to the other end of the front rank of archers to get him out of reach from my salamander? Of course, a rank and fine skeleton takes up the spot of the caster, so the same amount of models are in base to base.

Is this allowed?

I don't see any reason it wouldnt be allowed, but I couldnt find it clearly specified in the rule book, so I wanted to be sure, after all, this can be a game changer!

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I don't believe you are allowed to reform units out of close combat (characters includeed).
    The exception would be a refused challange, but that clearly didn't happen in this case.

3. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Yep. Just like n810 said. You can never remove a model from close combat. Unless of course you kill it or refuse a challenge. But in your case the Liche is SOL.

Look under.... Combat Reform? I believe that's where you'll find it. Basically you can reform anyway you want so long as you don't take any models out of combat.

4. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

Can anyone find the page in the rulebook?

I thought the ruling was that you cannot decrease the number of models fighting, and if a skeleton archer takes the place of the liche priest it wouldnt interfere with the rules?

5. Demelain
    Skink

Demelain Member

from the BRB

"A combat reform is essentially a standard reform (page 14) save for the fact that it can be made even though the unit is in close combat. The most common usage of a combat reform is to allow the unit to turn to face its enemy (if attacked in the flank or rear), although it can also be used to bring more models into the fight by increasing the unit's frontage. There is one special restriction on a combat reform, however — it cannot be used to get a model (friend or foe) out of base contact with the enemy if it was in contact before the reform was made. The model can be in base contact with a different enemy at the end of the reform if you wish"

You cannot reform a model that is fighting in the combat out of the combat, but the model does not have to fight the same model as before, also you have to keep the amount of models from both sides the same of increase it.

Demelain.

6. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

Alright thanks alot! =)