1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Comets call range

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Crowsfoot, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

"COMET’S CALL His consciousness soaring up to the heavens, Lord Kroak summons a cluster of comets before sending them into the enemy’s ranks. Comet’s Call has a casting value of 7. If successfully cast, pick up to D3 enemy units, or D6 if the result of the casting roll was 10 or more. Each of these units is struck by a comet and suffers D3 mortal wounds."

Never really used Kroak before so tried him this weekend but it does not say what range Comet call has, does it use the same range as Arcane bolt (18in)?

Cheers guys

2. YZK
    Saurus

YZK Member

It doesn't have any range - you can hit anywhere on the board :)
    At least, to my understanding! That's why Kroak works well in a defensive army!

3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

That's how I played it my son was not happy.

StealthKnightSteg likes this.
  4. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

Absolutely this.
    Yeah people usually aren't, Kroak's a right sniper like that.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Do you have to have line of sight? (I played as if you did)

6. YZK
    Saurus

YZK Member

From the rules:
    "PICKING TARGETS
    First, you must pick the target units for the attacks. In order to attack an enemy unit, an enemy model from that unit must be in range of the attacking weapon (i.e. within the maximum distance, in inches, of the Range listed for the weapon making the attack), and visible to the attacker (if unsure, stoop down and get a look from behind the attacking model to see if the target is visible). For the purposes of determining visibility, an attacking model can see through other models in its unit."

From Kroak:
    "If successfully cast, pick up to D3 enemy units, or D6 if the result of the casting roll was 10 or more"

So yes, your targets have to be in LOS of Kroak!

7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Cheers I just thought that he had x-ray vision :p:D

Freddy25 likes this.
  8. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

Actually no, I don't think you do.

For a start, the context of the Picking Targets rule is that it's for weapons, it specifically says "attacking weapon" in that quote and the rule is immediately followed by explaining the Hit, Wound, Save system.

Furthermore, look at Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield. They say "pick an enemy/friendly unit within 18" and that is visible to them." Tempest says "select a visible unit." So does Drain Magic. Soul Stealer and Gift of Change too. But you know what spell doesn't mention that it requires visibility? The Comet of Cassandora.
    Meteor spells would not require a line of sight because the line of attack isn't going from your fingertips to the enemy as it would with things like Arcane Bolt. You would just need to know generally where the enemy unit is and then something drops on them from the sky.

He probably does, he's a nearly omnipotent demigod who's the most powerful wizard in the universe.

Freddy25, YZK, Bracnos and 1 other person like this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Now that you have quoted it, it makes sense that Kroak can target without LOS.

10. YZK
    Saurus

YZK Member

Whoops, my bad! When you put it like that, it actually makes a lot of sense!