8th Ed. containment spells and ethereals

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by forlustria, Sep 12, 2011.

1. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

Is it true that flame cage and the net spell (light) do not work on ethereals. This to me seems really stupid as they are magical and do magical damage. In one of my first games I thought i was being really tacticle casting a a unit of wraiths. My oponent was new aswell so let it go. Now we have been playing a while and he says spells like that dont effect ethereal due to their movement being uneffected by terrain/spells. I guess i just answered my own question.

On the same subject if curse of anreir (spelling) is cast on a normal unit say skinks for an example would they treat open terrain as dangerous , so they would have to take a test whenever they move?

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I haven't had that come up before, but I just had a look at the rulebook and yeah it says ethereal aren't effected or stopped by movement spells.

I wonder if a failed strength test would do damage still but allow them to move, or just have absolutely no effect? Probably the latter. Luckily there aren't many ethereal units in the game.

3. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

yeah i suppose could still use it against a unit that has the wraith heroes in. then the wraiths have to move out which counts as the unit moving so normal troops take the test or they saty still.

4. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

my read just says they aren't slowed/stopped by spells that do that to movement, not that they aren't affected, so ya if u net them, they aren't stopped, but if they fail their str check they take damage.