1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conversion Idea

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by ASSASSIN_NR_1, Feb 1, 2020.

1. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

I've toyed with the idea of making a daemon army of tzeentch the last couple days, since my play group of 3 others each have a chaos army or is in the process of making one for each of the other gods.
    At some point a conversion idea struck me; I've played some Magic the Gathering and my two favorite characters are Ugin the Spirit Dragon and Nicol Bolas. Now Nicol Bolas made some huge army of eternals, a kind of funky zombie.
    The Idea then is to somehow make a Ugin and Bolas, to play them as Lords of Change, and eternals as their army, the thing is that I have never really converted anything and even if I had I doubt it would be easy.
    My initial thought was to use the Lord of Change model and swap out his head, neck and tail for the ones from the stardrake for Ugin, and do the same for Bolas but also swap out the wings.

For the eternals I'm not sure, and I guess I should come up with a list, so I have a bit more to go on.

Here are some photos for reference if you are not familiar with MTG:

Ugin:
    unnamed.jpg

Bolas:
    496e365c306081cf2c201e81f11bd11a.jpg

Eternals:

tumblr_pq373tGtjh1r99cauo1_1280.jpg

(Oh and BTW, if some of you haven't seen the trailer for the set, here it is; It's really quite nice I think)

I guess another option is to start to learn Blender and model what I need and just print it somewhere.

Is it a silly idea?
    Is it at all feasible?

2. Egres
    Razordon

Egres Well-Known Member

Sick trailer!!

The only problem I see is finding the piece you’ll need .... look at a chimera your not far from bolas with that model I would think!! Wings are almost bang on, longer tail etc just need to change the head perhaps repose the back leg so he sit more strait etc

image.jpg image.jpg

Just because I had the pieces handy lol

3. Egres
    Razordon

Egres Well-Known Member

Push it even more and build liliana from tzaangor chaman !!

If you wanna stay within I’d said go with the kairic acolytes with either squeleton for head or plain SCE head with all the extra cut/shave off, it’s a lot more skin then the ETERNALS but it’s got some armour.

Could almost got with some OBR models and cover up there body so you don’t see any bone etc

Best up luck looking forward to see result!!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  4. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

That's some nice ideas there, I will definitely look into them to decide how I'll tackle the project.

5. King Dust
    Saurus

King Dust Well-Known Member

Ooh yeah Mortek guard with some greenstuff to cover the mouths and a metallic paint job over the bony bits should do for the eternals.

Excited to see the results of this project!

Crowsfoot, Warden and ASSASSIN_NR_1 like this.
  6. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Interesting idea [sounds heretical to me] and I am curious to see what you come up with! Not sure about those magical skeleton dudes, would anything from the VC skeleton range work? Or maybe Mantic?

7. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

It is :angelic:
    It's mostly that the army fits rather nicely with the theme, but I could always spin a lore reason for the Daemons to be controlled by the lizards, I mean if I can pull it off they'll be led by a giant lizard with wings so why not.

Potentially yes. I mean there are lots of options really, it's just finding the right one and how much money and effort I want to put into it.
    Ideally I'd design the models so I get them exactly as I want them, but it seems a little drastic maybe.

Guess I'll have to think some more about it, but it'll be a while before I can begin anyway so it's not so bad if I don't have an answer now, though better to have it planned out beforehand than stumble through and not end up liking the result.

Warden and Crowsfoot like this.
  8. Egres
    Razordon

Egres Well-Known Member

Look at Necrons they are pretty close as well

9. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

childishknight Well-Known Member

What about Necrons? I feel like they already look a lot like the eternal guys. All you would really need to do is a weapon swap which is prob the easiest conversion you can do.

ASSASSIN_NR_1 and Imrahil like this.
  10. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

Dang it, you beat me to it!

11. Egres
    Razordon

Egres Well-Known Member

Must of type faster!! Lol

childishknight and Imrahil like this.
  12. Egres
    Razordon

Egres Well-Known Member

One as to wonder if converting weapon on the necrons would be easier then filling up the Mortek guard with green stuff?!? As they have more look a like weapon then the laser gun the Necrons have.... I guess converting the Necrons would make it look less like the Mortek guard and better on the table if your playing against OBR lol

13. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

Necrons have the same shoulder pad things which is why I suggested them. One tiny drill bit could hollow out the eyes and make them round (Or just headswap them with skulls). Bonereapers are beefy-er, but their heads look completely different and would be hard to convert to the Eternals.

ASSASSIN_NR_1 likes this.
  14. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

Necrons are a really good idea, I think they will work better than the Bonereapers (as they look quite bulky in comparison) and I need to be able to place them in rank and file so I can play both Fantasy and AOS.

childishknight likes this.
  15. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

I would recommend getting a tiny drill bit and just twirl it between your fingers to bore out the eye holes. GW plastic is soft so you don't need more then your hand pressure to get the effect you want (unless you are very careful with a drill). I would advise against drilling too far. The holes don't have to be very deep to get the effect you want. Can't wait to see the conversions!

ASSASSIN_NR_1 likes this.