8th Ed. CR and Handlers.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by VampTeddy, Jan 21, 2014.

1. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

So if handlers can stop a bouncing canonball without a model dying.

Do they count as CR?

From what i read in the rules, i am uncertain, and leaning towards no because of the specific wording.

"if the monster would take an unsaved wound (insert the rules for rolling who takes it here)but on a 5-6 a handler model is removed instead" - page 72

Now that sentence says "model" but the sentence before - "The handlers aren't really a combat unit per se, so we ignore them for most gaming purposes, treating the monster itself as the extent of the unit."

The above sentences also say remove a handler model instead, it never states that said handler suffers a wound, in fact it states to remove it "instead " of the model suffering a wound.

Wouldn't that make handlers CR neutral, as well as canonball neutral? ;)

2. Screamer
    Temple Guard

Screamer Member

No.

I believe that the wording in the BRB concerning CR says "unsaved wounds", not models removed.

3. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

You did lead me in on the right path!

but your reply is actually using the exact same argument i was - but that's where i failed anywhoes, since you're correct, it'll always suffer an unsaved wound, question is whether a handler gets it instead.

Thankyou!

4. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

Do you really think a skink will stop a cannon ball because he's standing near the salamander?
    I don't want my opponent to smack me.

-Matt

5. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

it's RAW

i even believe it has been discussed several times before on this forum, as a legit means of stopping a bouncing canonball.

it's not something i "think" it's something i can prove per the rules.

i don't even feel it's a stretch, it's quite clear cut in the rules.

To continue bouncing, if it hits a Beast it has to kill the beast, if it hits the handler (per the unsaved wounds rule stated above), it has failed to do so, and will consequently fail to bounce.

No FAQ has been released on the subject, and the BRB states quite clearly that the beast needs to go down.

If they're going to smack you when they bring a cannon and you had a ward save to suck it up, tell them they should be happy with what they get for 90 pts. Because that is almost what a skink save is, a ward save, with 3 uses, that counts against CR (as i found out).

6. godswearhats
    Saurus

godswearhats New Member

Playing Warhammer RAW is a path to unhappiness.

7. Overlord of Serpents
    Cold One

Overlord of Serpents Active Member

I would agree with the interpretation that the cannonball not killing the monster would halt, I'd expect the same of a Hydra so I'd expect them same for us. Now it should be noted that a skink cannot BLOCK a cannonball, only the monsters model can block the shot. If a handler is in the path of a cannonball, but not the monster, he is ignored for gaming purposes so it's as if he's not there.

-Overlord of Serpents

8. T_Saurus
    Cold One

T_Saurus Member

I am in agreement.

RAW: If a monstrous beast is hit but not killed by a cannon ball the cannonball stops there, killing a handler is not killing the beast.

Sounds good to me.