7th Ed. Crown of Taidron - Slann and TG

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Caneghem, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

The spell says the caster is not subject to the damage from the spell, but does this apply to the unit he has joined? Just wondering if a Slann would start hurting his own Temple Guard if he casts this spell.

2. rickie_82
    Saurus

rickie_82 New Member

Id say it hurt the TG also. One of the reasons I dont like shadow. If Taidron hadent hurt your own models it would have been a good lore for LM in my view. But it lacks one good spell for me to take it.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I had suspicions, but I wanted to wait to read the rulebook properly before replying. There has been no FAQ, I think it definitely looks like the unit the wizard is with gets hurt as well, it just says the model is immune to the effect not his unit. Really if you are going to be throwing that spell around, you would make sure your wizard is off on his own before casting it.

I wonder though... If you are in a weaker unit and throw it, would it be possible to make yourself panic since your unit could potentially panic? :p

4. rickie_82
    Saurus

rickie_82 New Member

Self panic ^^ Yea I say that is what would happen. Can be compered to the DE sacrifiece dagger, that can cause panic.

Spell can be good to deal with week marchblockers and the like, the TG aint gonna be feeling it that much, but your typical week marsch blockers will prolly be down to half unit streangth after the spell.

Can see it work better for empire or HE. Empire cheap lv2, stead of shadows, marchblock and Crown of Taidron seems like a nice anoyance. Can be combined with light for even greater efect ^^

5. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

I don't know, I was thinking of a situation where your TG are completely mobbed by inferior units. While D6 str 4 hits hitting your TG isn't ideal, only 1/4 of the hits against your TG will wound, averaging to 3.5/4 dead models per turn (less than 1). Assuming you use this properly, i.e., when you are pinned by swarms of weaker troops, I think it is a spell to cast early in the magic phase and tempt your opponent to dispel. No panic checks while engaged in combat, and I think TG are Immune to Psych with the Slann anyway, in case you find that there are a bunch of units within 12" shooting the TG unit. Every enemy unit within 12" starts to add up in terms of kills, especially if they are weaker troops. Also, since you are killing a few models off of each unit BEFORE the combat phase, if you reduce their ranks they won't count towards the next combat. Other lores have similar and better versions of this spell, but I'm just wondering since I'm working on a full review of the lores of magic (with respect to the Slann).

6. lupercal
    Kroxigor

lupercal New Member

i think this spell is kinda intended for say dragon mages since then they can use their breath weapon and then land a good hit with this spell since i am pretty sure that it does not affect the mages mount which would make it a good spell for a EotG if he could take it but alas no dice

but it will typically hurt any unit attacking the TG much worse then it will them and possibly multiple units if they are being flanked so it definatly has it's uses

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah it wouldn't affect mounts, but dragon mages can only take the lore of fire...

Unless you didn't mean the HE dragon mage, and just a generic mage lord on a dragon?

8. lupercal
    Kroxigor

lupercal New Member

no i just forgot that dragon mages couldn't take other lores but the theory still holds for like an archmage on a dragon and such like a vampire on bone dragon