8th Ed. Cupped hands and opponent with throne of vines

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by marcusap, Dec 2, 2010.

1. marcusap
    Jungle Swarm

marcusap New Member

So as the topic states. Can my opponents wizard ignore a misscast(with the throne of vines 2+) that I give him with cupped hands.
    I played yday and the situation came up. He claimed he could use it while I claimed that since I have allready rolled on the misscast table its to late to use thrones misscast protection. Anyway since he was the more experienced player I let him have it, allthough I'm not sure its correct.

Anyone have any input in the matter?

Sorry if the question has been up before.

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Interesting, I haven't heard of that particular conflict come up before. I don't think there is an official ruling for it, but I would probably let throne work as well.

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I would argue the other way. Throne of vines completely ignores the miscast. That means there is no roll on the table. Cupped hands takes place after the roll on the miscast table. Thus, the effect goes through. He cannot get the protection from throne of vines.

4. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I would tend to favor Arli's interpretation as well. Then again, I'd really like to have a copy of the rulebook at hand to check out the exact wording of Throne of Vines.

5. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Arli is right on. Beyond that, Cupped Hands doesn't technically make our opponent miscast in the first place. It makes him suffer the effect of our miscast. Our actual miscast is "ignored".

So, even if they have an ability that lets them ignore or re-roll their own miscasts, or, in the case of a rival Slann with his own Cupped Hands, I don't think it will help the enemy at all. They didn't miscast; we did.

Items like Curse Charm of Tepok, however, would work- he could make us re-roll our own miscast to save himself. Infernal Puppet should work as usual, but only once per - some Chaos players want to modify the Slann's miscast to make it worse, then alter it again when the result gets bounced back to them.

That's how I read the RAW on page 102 of our book anyway. Anyone else play it like this, or am I missing something important?

6. oxyquel
    Skink

oxyquel New Member

and what if you cast thrown of vines with IRF. do you get the miscast as well?
    the BRB says that first you get the effects of the spell and then the miscast. so...
    double 6's on the spell. do you get the miscast as well or the spell protects you?

7. oxyquel
    Skink

oxyquel New Member

i meant ''throne''! sorry.. :D

8. marcusap
    Jungle Swarm

marcusap New Member

Yes throne gives protection asap.

The actual wording in the BRB is: "Whilst the spell is in effect, every time the Wizard miscasts, roll a dice. On a 2+, the miscast is ignored."

9. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

The argument is, the new target isn't miscasting, they are only suffering the effects of the miscast. I would argue that Thrones would not work.

10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

As far as I know there is no easy way to dodge the effects of cuped hands.

11. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

That is a very good point, and now I agree with that interpretation. Vines protects from your own miscasts, while Cupped Hands transfers the effect of your miscast.

Also, it is in the FAQ that if you get IF on Throne then yes, it protects you from that miscast.