7th Ed. Cupped Hands

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by skinker, Mar 10, 2010.

1. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

If you roll a 1, thus failing the ability to use this item... is it gone since its a one use item? Or is it considered still in play.

If you have Bane Head declared on an enemy wizard, and you used cupped hands to give that wizard the miscast result... which in turn gives that wizard a wound, does he take double wounds because of banehead?

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

3. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

Anybody have a simple yes or no for me?

4. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

From what I can tell skinker.

Cupped Hands:
    If you declare you are using the item and then procede to roll 1 for its usage, your item, just like any magic item, is consumed. The Slann suffers the miscast as normal if you roll a 1. You don't get to try and use it again later since it specifically states "One Use only". This really isn't covered in the FAQ because the meaning is understood because it is a 'One use only" item.

Bane Head:
    The Bane Head rules are slightly open ended, but I feel that this is intentional. Say the enemy wizard upon whom you used the BH suffers a miscast causing him to take a wound. This wound would be doubled since it counts as unsaved. I wouldn't understand why a transfered miscast to the same wizard would not be doubled since it too counts as an unsaved wound. This is only provided that the miscast results in a wound though.

Obviously, both of these questions could have been discussed already, but I feel that the FAQ doesn't provide a concrete answer to either since both simply require a literal understanding of the each item mechanic to generate the correct answers. Technical jargon aside, I feel that reading the rules on each item make it farily obvious what is supposed to happen.

Hopfully that wasn't too much of an answer given you were looking for a yes/no. :D

5. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

Uhhm... you don't need a FAQ for the 1st question since you declare its use before orling the dice, you only declare the use once per game, alltough a batter question is if you have used a 1 use only item and an oponenet casts law of gold on the character that used sed item, can you nominate the used item to be destroyed? you obvsiously can't use it anymore, but does it remain in your "inventroy"?

the FAQ acutally answers the 2nd question:
    Q. When using Cupped Hands of the Old Ones,
    do you hand over the miscast BEFORE or
    AFTER determining the result on the Miscast
    table? Does any wound caused by this item
    combine with the Bane Head? Can a result of
    '2' be transferred?
    A. Declare the use of the Cupped Hands of the
    Old Ones after determining that a miscast has
    occurred and rolling on the Miscast table. Yes,
    those wounds can be combined with the Bane
    Head! Yes, you can transfer a 2 to the enemy
    wizard (and anybody unlucky enough to be
    standing near him, ouch!).

6. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

i've wondered this before, afaik there isnt anything in the rulebook to definitively state what happens after a one use item is used. under scrolls it states that that once used it crumbles to dust or the writing fades, and tbh i've always played it as: once a one use item is used, it cannot be nominated. perhaps its covered in one of the main FAQs?

7. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

i've checked the BRB FAQ's but could find nothing. even if its ok acording to the rules any tournament judge with half a brain will decide against it and once you nominate your used dispell scroll against Law of Gold or any other item that destroys magic items you will have a hard time finding poeple to play unless you usually play in a highly competitive enviroment where power gaming to the max is the usual