7th Ed. Dazzling Brightness.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by slannfrog, Sep 10, 2009.

1. slannfrog
    Cold One

slannfrog Member

Dazzling Brightness:

If my Slann casts Dazzling Brightness on a skeleton unit for a close combat phase can my opponent still use Helm of Commandment to boost the same skeleton unit to WS 6-7 with a vampire? The spell states, "...If successfully cast, the target unit is dazzled and its WS characteristic is reduced to 1 for the duration of that turn's close combat phase." The Helm of Commandment can be use in any phase.

2. Dreadgrass
    Ripperdactil

Dreadgrass Member

I do believe that, as it is generally activated on the Combat Phase, the Helm would overide the spell, think of it this way
    - WS is 2 or whatever the skellies are
    - Slann casts the spell to change the 2 to a 1
    - VC uses the helm to change the 1 to a 6 or 7 (depending on user)

On the plus side, if you can throw the spell on the Vampire or the unit he's with he'll go down to 1 and it renders his item useless (unless he wants to give a unit WS 1 lol) Being as your a slann (presuming your in TG) you can generally see over the skellies if the VC is skulking in the normal Grave Guard Bunker!

3. lupercal
    Kroxigor

lupercal New Member

i would disagree since in the spell description it says it is activated in the close combat phase where as the helm is not so much activated as on going and spells usually overpower items on the whole

4. slannfrog
    Cold One

slannfrog Member

lupercal: That's a bold statement, you'll have to prove it.

Dreadgrass: Great advise. If I have range I'll definitely cast it on the H.of Commandment bearer. Pretty funny actually. Thanks.

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the helm isn't so much a passive effect, in the close combat phase you choose which unit to benefit don't you?

I would lean slightly toward the item, but I'll have to read both descriptions in full. A safe and probably fair way to deal with it is every combat phase you dice off for which one works. GW have had rulings similar to this before. In any case, Dreadgrass is right, throw the spell on the vampire instead.