8th Ed. Death FAQ "Modified" Ld

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Toelobe, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Toelobe
    Skink

Toelobe New Member

So what is the consensus on the new FAQ on unmodified leadership?

If I give my slann the standard of discipline, cast doom and darkness on an enemy BSB, and cast spirit leach on the BSB, do we roll our D6 and add 10(for the slann) and Ld -3(for the enemy BSB) respectively? Those values are modified, but are they not counted as modified for the spell because they aren't modified by the Inspiring Presence rule? I just want to get it right!

2. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Previously, "unmodified LD" was just that, unmodified, and consisted of the LD value listed in the respective army book without any adjustments for anything else (i.e. spells, inspiring presence, other characters in unit, etc.). Until the most recent FAQ, this was supported by several FAQ questions which dealt with examples directly. However, IMHO, the latest definition of "unmodified LD" appears to have tossed this out the window as follows:

Q: When taking a Leadership test, sometimes you have to take it on your unmodified Leadership. What is your unmodified Leadership?
    (p10)
    A: Your unmodified Leadership is the highest Leadership characteristic in the unit. So the Leadership from any characters in the unit itself (but not from outside the unit, from Inspiring Presence for example) with a higher Leadership can be used unless specifically stated otherwise.

This latest definition indicates that only a character in the unit can adjust the "unmodified LD" but a key addendum is the last part about "unless otherwise stated". Since the spirit leech FAQ specifically allows inspiring presence, then each side can use their general's LD.

Now, the next issue is the impact of magic on LD. AFAIK, the current definition does not prohibit adjustments to LD through magic as did prior definitions of "unmodified LD". Also, the doom & darkness FAQ indicates that it adjusts the LD value bestowed by inspiring presence. Taking these together, the end result is that yes, both the standard of discipline and doom & darkness would affect the LD values of the slaan and targeted BSB accordingly when using spirit leech.

3. Toelobe
    Skink

Toelobe New Member

That is just a very convoluded rule and FAQ. You would think that the question would come up enough that they would very clearly explain that situation. Thanks for the help because it kind of leaves itself open for interpretation.

4. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

At times I wonder of the GW FAQ writer's motto is "No wait! There might be a harder way!".