1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diablo 3

Discussion in 'RPG' started by Qupakoco, May 15, 2012.

1. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Anyone play it yet? I was going to download it last night but had some other stuff come up. Definitely on my to do list for tonight though.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I am scared to.... (remembering the untold hours playing the 1st and 2nd one)

My kids have mentioned it as well. I would be willing to give it a try.

3. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Played the server load test beta a few weeks ago. Made a Daemon Hunter who was pretty awesome. The Witch Doctor class uses a Poison BlowGun and made me think of a Skink everytime I shot anyone with it.
    Was a lot of fun but co-worker who was up all night playing said there is offline play. It is all online so if server down no playing. Kind of a drag.

Personally I am saving my $60 and holding out for Guild Wars 2.
    http://www.guildwars2.com/

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

My oldest son wants GW2 as well. I have heard on other sites that there were problems until 3 a.m. trying to log onto the servers because they were overloaded.

I will wait.

5. Durandal
    Cold One

Durandal Member

I just looked up some Amazon reviews. It's designed to need constant internet access to run as an anti-piracy measure. This is bad in general if the servers can't handle the amount of players attempting to play (which has been happening), and really bad for the customer if they don't happen to have high-speed internet at that moment but want to play.
    Apparently as a game it's pretty good, but yeah, if I wanted a free-to-play Online game, I'd stick with an actual free-to-play MMO.

6. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

Yeah I bought it at midnight last nite and installed it and wasn't able to get in to play byu 1:30 so I gave up and went to bed.

Played a bit this morning, looks fantastic.
    Came home at lunch to play but servers down for "emergency" maintainance.

7. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Wow, I was not aware of this. I was expecting it to be a standalone game. Is it different if you purchase the hard copy, what with the CD key and all?

I am excited about the game play regardless. I have a couple buddies that are fellow achievement hunters, so that should make for some good times.

8. Durandal
    Cold One

Durandal Member

According to 1 review, key data (he claimed parts of monster AI) is not on disc; connecting to the servers is what allows the game to run. Truth be told, it's an interesting anti-pirate measure, only we don't live in the fantastical super-world with high-speed internet available to everyone, everywhere, at all times, and never goes down, that it needs to exist in to be "customer friendly".
    What I find most amusing is that this is a PR nightmare waiting to happen, a month after Blizzard made a jab at Bioware's PR nightmare in March.

9. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Just read this which makes me think I will wait to pick it up after the price drops.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/players-beating-diablo-3-in-just-seven-hours/

10. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Ugh, my initial motivation for this game is slowly going away. Got to keep focused: game play, game play, game play...

On another note, it'll be interesting to see who becomes the first millionaire by taking advantage of the new auction house.