TOW Discovering Lustria - Prepping for 2K tournament

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Lagast, Sep 18, 2024 at 12:16 PM.

1. Lagast
    Jungle Swarm

Lagast New Member

2 weeks ago I guided my forces of Lustria to their first battle. Coming from High Elves I was very much looking forward to be playing a diverse army as the Lizardmen. For my first battle I played this list, based on the models I have in my collection:

Lizardmen BATTLE REPORT 1

++ Characters [837 pts] ++

Slann Mage-Priest [430 pts]
    - Hand weapon
    - General
    - Battle Standard Bearer
    - Ruby Ring of Ruin
    - Lore Familiar (Battle magic. Fire Ball. Assailment spell. Pillar of fire. Monsoon)
    - Higher State Of Mind
    - Battle Magic

Saurus Oldblood [407 pts]
    - Hand weapon
    - Heavy armour (Scaly skin)
    - Shield
    - Carnosaur
    - Talisman of Protection
    - Blade Of Revered Tzunki

++ Core Units [662 pts] ++

12 Saurus Warriors [201 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Shields
    - Shieldwall
    - Spawn Leader (champion)
    - Standard bearer
    - Musician

15 Temple Guard [286 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Halberds
    - Shields
    - Revered Guardian (champion)
    - Standard bearer [War Banner]
    - Musician

10 Skink Skirmishers [60 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Light armour (Calloused hides)
    - Scouts

10 Skink Skirmishers [60 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Scouts

10 Skink Skirmishers [55 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Vanguard

++ Special Units [154 pts] ++

3 Kroxigors [154 pts]
    - Great weapons
    - Ancient (champion)

++ Rare Units [345 pts] ++
    1 Salamander Pack [90 pts]
    - Wicked claws
    - Fiery breath
    - 3x Skink Handlers with Hand weapons and Light armour (Calloused hides)

Ancient Stegadon [255 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Great horns
    - Engine of the Gods

My opponent was playing Empire. I don’t have the details on his list but he had something like this:
    • Priest
    • Hero/Lord
    • Unit Troops with Halberds
    • Unit Great Swords
    • 2 units of Knight
    • 1 unit of Outriders
    • 1 unit of Pistolliers
    • A great canon
    • A Helblaster Volly Gun
    • A steam tank

I didn’t have a tactic against this list, I only knew, from playing my HE vs a steam tank, that it is hard to kill. 10 wounds on T7…Perhaps the skinks could do some poisoned wounds and the Carnosaur or Stegadon might be able to bend some of that steam tank’s metal plates.

We played Command and control with a tower in the middle. A unit of max 10 infantry was able to control it, which my opponent didn’t have. My skinks were the only option for me.

DEPLOYMENT:
    I choose to put my infantry in the middle and go monster heavy on the right side of the board. Denying at least 1 of his war machines and some cavalry. Slann was central for command range and to hopefully deal with the left side troops of my opponent with some magic. Kroxigors could go both ways.

I made a mistake in my list, I had 2 units scouts and 1 unit vanguard. Which could be max 2 units combined. However, it didn’t impact te game. The vanguard skinks went for the tower, which they could’ve done anyway.

My opponent played safe. Also put his infantry in the middle. On both flanks war machines and cavalry (fast and heavy)He vanguarded one of his units on the left, to put pressure, but with my temple guards and Slann on that side I wasn’t concerned.

[​IMG]

Due to lack of time, slow play on my behalf and generally having loads of laughs during the play we didn’t manage to get far. So the report will be rather short.

[​IMG]

TURN 1 LIZARDMEN:
    I won the roll of, so my scouts skinks advanced forward. Vanguard skinks took control of the tower. Carnosaur pushed forward, stegadon, Salamander and saurus warriors followed up. Temple guards and Slann just went in as much as needed for the range, a good line of sight and vision arc for spells. During shooting the skinks on the right manage to take out all but 1 of his outriders which was great.

Magic didn’t do much.

TURN 1 EMPIRE:
    Everything shuffled a little bit and it was clear that the forces of the Empire decided to lean back and shoot as much as possible. Only on the left flank his cavalry tried to get in range to fire some gunpowder, which was a success as they took out 3 temple guards.Other than that not much happened, his canon hit nothing, his Helblaster was just out of range if I recall correct.

[​IMG]

TURN 2 LIZARDMEN:
    CHAAAARGE!! Carnosaur… FAIL!I wanted to charge my Carnosaur in his steam tank, I failed. I didn’t have any other charges, so I moved everything forward. On the left I made space for the Kroxigors to go around the tower. My shooting took out the remaining outrider on the right and the pistoliers on the left were harmed really bad, so they decided to run as far as they could. Cowards. The steam tank also lost one wound due to some excellent skink shooting

[​IMG]

TURN 2 EMPIRE:
    The Pistolier didn’t rally and ran of the board. No charges. Frightened by the look my Old blood on dinosaur his steamtank and knights moved backwards. Everything else was glued on the table and didn’t move. His shooting was more agressive this turn, he took out my Kroxigors, I had 24 shots incoming. The carnosaur also lost 3 wounds because of a hard hitting canon ball. And that was it.

[​IMG]

TURN 3 LIZARDMEN:
    A charge, at last. My dino hit his steam tank. In combat I managed to get 5 wounds trough, together with the 1 from the skinks, it left his steam tank with 4 wounds. I moved my skinks out of the tower to distract the knights. Moved slann forward to start casting spells on his bigger units. (Made a mistake here, not much room for the temple guard to move in/go for charges if it would be possible). I moved the other units forward to get in charge range (or shooting for the salamander)The skinks on the right flank moved in so that his knight were not able to get the flank charge on my Old Blood Carnosaur. My shooting didn’t to that much, some wounds here and there.

And that was it. Due to the venue closing, we didn’t do his 3th turn.I hoped to slay his Steam tank, which should be possible with the build I have. So that I could use this model to go in on the flank of the infantry in my turn. Knights on the same flank could be an issue as they would brake the skinks.It could go both ways, depending on what he would do with his knights. If it would come to multiple charge with stegadon, saurus warriors and carnosaur on his infantry, it might go my way.

CONCLUSION:
    Fun game to play. Very different from my High elves. Since we didn’t play much turns, I’m not sure what to think of the infantry. Are they too slow to really do something? Are they a good endgame piece?

What I did like are the Skinks. They are so maneuverable, poisoned attacks are very mean.

In generally I think I should’ve pushed harder with everything. There was no use of holding back and doing normal moves instead of marching. He stayed back, so going in fast should’ve been the only option for me. Due to this, I didn’t have any other charges, no shooting with salamander.

Any suggestions are welcome!

2. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

Haha yeah infantry are slow. I enjoy having one big block but I never bother with much more of that. It's fun having lots of movement and running around other blocks

3. Lagast
    Jungle Swarm

Lagast New Member

True, I have played a second game, again with 2 block infantry and made the same conclussion.
    Current list for 3th game has been changed with 1 block saurus and 4 skink units. More fun I hope.