8th Ed. Dispelling, stegadon stand and shoot, & sally shooting

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Battlehamster, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Battlehamster
    Saurus

Battlehamster New Member

Ok I have 3 questions from my last game:

1. When it is your opponents magic phase, what can he dispel? I thought it was only remain in place spells. But what about hexes and augments (ie earthblood, flesh to stone, curse of the midnight wind etc)? The rulebook does not state anything about them. Or throne of vines?

2. Can an ancient stegadon stand and shoot in reaction to a charge (assuming any skinks are alive on top to shoot the blowpipes of course, lol)?

3. While firing your salamanders, is it possible for the template to overshoot and hit troops engaged in close combat or even your own troops? Is this legal or does the shot just get wasted?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

!. I believe it's just RIP spells, might have to look that one up,
    as some hexes and aguments may also be RIP spells.

2. yep, keep in mind they have diferent ranges.

3. yep, mind where you aim those templates.

3. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

1) All Remains In Play spells can be dispelled at any point in the subsequent magic phases it was casted if it wasn't dispelled same phase. However, to dispel it, a roll of the original (non modified) casting value is used. Also, there are many spells that are still in-play after 1 round, but do not say "remains in play". These spells cannot be dispelled after sucessfully cast and remain in effect even after the caster is slain or leaves the battlefield, unless spell states differently.
    (page 36 of the BRB)

2) Q. Can Stegadons and Ancient Stegadons choose to stand and shoot their missile weapons as a charge reaction? (p55)
    A. Yes, apart from the giant bow.
    (copied from Lizardmen FAQ page 3)

3) Yes, it's possible to hit anything when a salamander overshoots, including your own troops. Much like artillery fire (which in essence the slamander is.. just a living one).

4. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Oh! Sorry n810. Didn't know you already answered!

5. Battlehamster
    Saurus

Battlehamster New Member

All right thanks guys. The big confusion for me was the spells. Some spells say specifically "remain in place" while others are 1 turn augments or hexes. That is why I didn't think the latter could be dispelled since the BRB only refers to dispelling "remain in play" spells.

A followup on the salamanders, is it considered poor sportsmanship to fire at a unit with the knowledge that with the overshoot it will most likely hit another unit in close combat?

6. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

I wouldn't think of it as poor sportsmanship as much as good generalship. It's not much different than GW"s own rule on units within 6" of breaking units role for panic.... in that use it as a strategy. If your opponent has his units too close together, he'll eventually learn and/or be prepared next match.

One thing that I do after each game played is do a Q&A tactica with my opponent where-in he gives me his opinions on my tactics and vice-versa. I'd say as long as the game is finished with a handshake and a smile.. it's good.

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

No problem Cedric, i believe we where basicly answering at the same time.

8. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

This thread made me think of a follow-up question related to Ancient Steg stand-and-shoot. If the charging enemy is too close for a stand-and-shoot with the blowpipes, can the 2 skinks that normally man the pipes throw their javelins? I assume they can, but I've never really thought about it.

9. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

Giant Bow has slow to fire so can never stand and shoot

Giant blowpipe has neither slow nor quick to fire so can sand and shoot as normal dependent on charge distance.

Javelins have quick to fire so can always stand and shoot, javelin crew can opt to fire GBP or Jav so can stand and shoot with their javs.