8th Ed. Do characters count toward min-unit size?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Old Mossy, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

As the title says, do characters count toward min-unit size? For example, can I field a skink chief on a terradon and 2 other terradon riders as a unit? I can't seem to find a rule for it.

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

No they do not, they must be taken seperately so minimum unit size is factored before the character can join the unit.

3. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Cheers mate. My terradons will just have to get extra chunky.

4. strewart
    OldBlood

Do you have a specific use in mind for the chief on terradon? Overall they aren't really worth it usually.. Big point-sink on what should be a cheap unit, shoots just as well as the rest of the unit, and doesn't improve their combat ability enough to allow them to take on anything that they couldn't already. You might be better off with just 3-4 regular terradons.

5. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

I've kitted him out with the ruby ring of ruin. My opponent has some tree-kin he loves to let hang back, so I want to harass them. It probably won't be worth it in the end, but I just enjoy trying out new "strategies".

6. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Another very good combo for a terradon mounted chief is sword of hornet (ASF) plus the potion of strength. It is a very good method of killing nearly any wizard since you get 3 attacks with re-rolls to hit at S7 and the mount's S4 attack.

7. strewart
    OldBlood

Assassins like that are good, but be wary of unit champions or other characters in there. They can issue a challenge, forcing you to waste the potion on a unit champ and probably making you lose combat and flee before you can direct attacks onto the wizard.

8. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

If I planned on doing that, I would take the unit upgrade for a chapion in the terradons. That way, the terradon champion could accept the challenge and the chief could deal his damage as planned.