8th Ed. Does Swarms get supporting attacks?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Khaluk, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Khaluk
    Skink

Khaluk Member

Okay, so in my latest list, I included two swarm-bases, for the potential of poison close combat, with my other units.
    In different tacticas on this side and as a general tip, people seem to recommend that swarms should engage closecombat, after another unit has engaged firsthand. My question is:

Since people recommend charging with swarms in the corner of an enemy unit (For fewer "attacks in return") and lining Swarmbases up 1 wide, will the second swarmbase get any supporting attack? - Or can swarms get supporting attacks at all? :)

2. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

Everything gets 1 supporting attack, unless they have a rule that gives them more (like monstrous infantry, monstrous beasts and monstrous cav do); or if they have a rule where they don't get to support (like the mounts from cavalry/monstrous cav).

Short answer is the 2nd rank of the swarm gets 1 attack.

-Matt

3. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

Swarms are Skirmishers though. I can't recall if that allows them supporting attacks, since Skirmishers never count as having ranks.

4. rantapanda
    Kroxigor

rantapanda Member

Skirmishers form ranks in melee

5. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Lizardmatt is correct.

Everything gets 1 supporting attack unless there is a rule specifically give them more.

No such rule exists for swarms, so second-rank swarms get one attack each.

6. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

There is no need to worry about 1 vs 5 attacks for the supporting swarm. At WS3/T2, they will very quickly be stepping up and getting their full 5 poisoned attacks :D