TOW Dragon Slaying Sword Slann

Discussion in 'Lizardmen Army Lists' started by airjamy, Feb 11, 2024.

1. airjamy
    Salamander

airjamy Well-Known Member

Why should Sauri get all the cool weapons? My Slann uses that Dragon Slaying Sword just as well as that puny Oldblood!

++ Characters [825 pts] ++
    Slann Mage-Priest [450 pts]
    (Hand weapon, General, Battle Standard Bearer, Dragon Slaying Sword, Lore Familiar, Higher State Of Mind, Illusion)

Skink Priest [375 pts]
    (Hand weapon, Light armour (Calloused hide), Level 2 Wizard, Ancient Stegadon with Engine of the Gods, Ruby Ring of Ruin, Elementalism)

++ Core Units [743 pts] ++
    10 Skink Skirmishers [50 pts]
    (Javelins and shields, calloused hides (counts as light armour))

18 Temple Guard [309 pts]
    (hand weapons, halberds, and shields, scaly skin (counts as heavy armour), Revered Guardian (champion), Standard bearer, Musician)

18 Saurus Warrior [284 pts]
    (Hand weapons and shields, scaly skin (counts as heavy armour), Shieldwall, Spawn Leader (champion), Standard bearer)

++ Special Units [175 pts] ++
    1 Bastiladon [175 pts]
    (thunderous bludgeon and Solar Engine, Skink Crew (x3) with hand weapons and Javelins (required))

++ Rare Units [255 pts] ++
    1 Ancient Stegadon (0-1 Stegadon or Troglodon per 1,000 points) [255 pts]
    (Great horns and Engine of the Gods, Skink Crew (x5) with hand weapons and javelins (required))

---
    Created with "Old World Builder"

[https://old-world-builder.com]

The trick? Spectral Doppelganger. An Etheareal Slann probably survives a turn or even more against enemy Behemoths since he is Etheareal. With Spectral Doppelganger (which he casts on a 5+ due to the double Engine and which he always has due to Lore Familiar) he gets 2d6 auto hits with Monster Slayer. Hide your Dragons, because my Slann is coming to town!

The rest of the list is just a ton of artillery and sturdy blocks to force your opponent to come to you, as that goes along best with the double Engine which i think are mandatory for the +5 vs enemy 4+ denies. Bastiladon adds more magical artillery to overload enemy dispels and makes the Sauri ini 2, which matters if the enemy brings stomps/great weapons in prolonged combats.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
  2. Kalisto
    Kroxigor

Kalisto Active Member

Good idea… but I cannot find the spell, which lore is that?

3. Kalisto
    Kroxigor

Kalisto Active Member

Do you mean maybe spectral doppelgänger?

airjamy likes this.
  4. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

Won't most behemoth's have a rider with a magic weapon?

5. airjamy
    Salamander

They will, but 5 wounds on a Slann with T4, a 5+ ward and apotheosis isn't that easy to kill.
    I mean that one yeah :p

6. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

Do you get the cast the spell before you're required to do combat?

7. airjamy
    Salamander

You cast it when you fight.

8. Kalisto
    Kroxigor

Kalisto Active Member

You mean that a lord with 4/5 attacks hitting at 2+ and wounding at least at 4/3+ or even better wouldn’t have easy to kill the Slann? I don’t think so. By the way your Stegadon need to be within 6” to give you the +1 to cast.
    It’s doable but extremely risky. And illusion is very BAD either compared to others school of magic

9. airjamy
    Salamander

A lord with 4 attacks hitting on 2s and wounding on 3s only does 2 wounds on average a turn to a Slann, not enough to kill him even in 2 rounds.

It is all really build dependent. If they have a 4+ ward, the plan becomes pretty bad. If they have no ward, the plan becomes very good and you should kill them in 1 round (on average 7 hits, on average 1 of which is a 6). I am interested to try this out. The rest of the lore is pretty meh indeed, which is maybe the main caveat to all this.

SimeonHash likes this.
  10. Kalisto
    Kroxigor

Kalisto Active Member

I just read that there is a FAQ that don’t allow characters to get magic weapons/armour in case you cannot take a mundane one. In this case the Slann couldn’t take that sword :(

11. Fxt
    Skink

Fxt Member

Is only for armour.

In any case, every model is considered to be equipped with hand weapon, even the slann, so he can buy a magic one

12. Kalisto
    Kroxigor

Kalisto Active Member

That’s true! Good then!

13. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

Even better. As an illusion slann, you can also take shimmering dragon and fly your priest on ancient stegadon around

14. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

It's still pretty hilarious. If you ever manage to kill a dragon with this, please please please post a battle report.

discomute likes this.
  15. SimeonHash
    Skink

SimeonHash New Member

I played this list several times ... and it is very effective against Behemoths.Most don't have Magic attacks (so fear against this Slann is pretty big against most of monsters) Only thing i used ScarVetCarno instead of SkinPriestStegadon in the 1500pts battles for the purposes of charging "HeavyChariot" type units that need to be taken care of ... Shimmering Dragon for "Fly 10" of your Carnosaur , Miasmic Mirage for blocking any relevant unit in the opposing army , Column of crystal for blocking LoS and blocking movement... 4th spell is Spectral Doppelganger.

airjamy and discomute like this.
  16. Kalisto
    Kroxigor

Kalisto Active Member

In the last tournament 75% on a drake or similar had a magic weapon. You cast the spell before them of course but is a big risk

17. BeardedLizard
    Saurus

BeardedLizard Member

Actually most of the time they get to swing first or at the same time. Slann has iniative of 2. Ethereal is still useful, even if they have a magic weapon because it nullifies the dragon.

I think Slann can tank most below 50pt magic weapons with 4t 5w and 5+ ward. Super risky though.

18. Kalisto
    Kroxigor

Kalisto Active Member

And you risk to waste even your dispelling… if you are blocked in melee. Slann has unit strength 3. A dragon or similar har at least 6. So you risk to flee automatically if you lose your break test. You have banner but not close order.. so you risk 600 points and you are going to fail sometimes. Too much IF for me sorry

19. BeardedLizard
    Saurus

BeardedLizard Member

Murder frog is definitely not the optimal strategy but it can be fun and legendary if it works.

airjamy and discomute like this.