8th Ed. drop rocks and panic

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Dreyer, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Dreyer
    Cold One

Dreyer New Member

Does anyone here know which way a unit flees if I fly over them with a unit of terradons and they panic from drop rocks?

2. Wistrel
    Saurus

Wistrel New Member

I think it's toward the nearest table edge.

3. Rhodium
    Kroxigor

Rhodium New Member

I disagree with the above post, a unit never flees to the nearest table edge under any situation, BRB page 63.
    The only two options are:
    From nearest enemy unit
    Or
    From unit that caused most casualties

As far as I can tell, this has never been explicitly explained:

However:
    Drop rocks are a shooting attack
    In the army book, the rule is written in past tense with respect to the movement "One of Its models have moved over" suggesting the movement has already incurred, not that it is simultaneous.
    The panic rules for heavy casualties state if it caused by a unit via shooting (or other forms of attack such as spells) then you flee directly from the unit that caused the most casualties,

Therefore if panic is caused you flees in the opposite direction to where the terradons ended their movement

However this is just my interpretation and I couldn't find a definitive answer. How would you play it? What other possibilities to you think may be valid? How about anyone else?

4. Wistrel
    Saurus

Wistrel New Member

Thanks for pointing that out to me, it was my opponent who told me this and though I doubted it at first a spectator backed him up, so I went along with it. My chameleons ran off the board after panicing from hangunner fire. :rage: Next time I'll have a bone to pick with him.

5. Rhodium
    Kroxigor

Rhodium New Member

Haha, I always find the "rules" that come up that seem to help my opponent massively, are usually not correct!

6. Samo
    Skink

Samo New Member

Hello,
    I have another question to terradons.
    When enemy wound terradon rider, which toughness is used? Ridder, or beast? And one model has 2 wound, because, it is monster cav?.

7. Rhodium
    Kroxigor

Rhodium New Member

You use the rider, the beast doesn't have a toughness! It is just a - in the army book

Also it has two wounds because the army book says so, I don't believe stats really have a link to what the unit type is, it is just whatever the writer decided when they wrote the book

8. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

Riders toughness is used due to the cavalry rules.
    Riders wounds are also used due to the Monstrous cavalry rule(use the highest wounds)
    Terradons are monstrous cavalry(BRB) This I personally didn't know(along with the 2 wounds thing)

See, you learn something new every day.

9. Rhodium
    Kroxigor

Rhodium New Member

Not just due to monstrous cav rules but common sense as well.. The Terradon mount doesn't even have a toughness nor a wound value, so if you tried to play any other way than the riders stats it wouldn't make any sense, you can't roll to wound against toughness = - or cause a wound to a unit with - numbers of wounds to start with.

10. Wiggus
    Saurus

Wiggus New Member

Does it also get stomp as its monstrous cav

11. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

Checking my BRB the terradon does in fact have an entire complete statline.

Since its MC it does in fact have stomp, UNLESS it says somewhere that it doesn't.

In the BRB it says MC have stomp, but I haven't cross checked it with fliers or terradons saying they don't get to.

12. Rhodium
    Kroxigor

Rhodium New Member

"Checking my BRB the terradon does in fact have an entire complete "

Doesn't army book beat BRB in all cases? Or is this an exception?

I have had people rule against things using the "army book > brb" argument on things before when they clearly have been written for seventh edition and make limited sense now.

It would be good to show an example where you can use an obvious update to "correct" the army book even if it doesn't really have any in game effect

Thanks

13. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

I actually just checked my AB, and the terradon stats in it are the same as the BRB.

14. Rhodium
    Kroxigor

Rhodium New Member

Weird, have I got a older book or a misprint or something?

The terradons don't have a toughness value or a wound value on page 52, 96 and the reference sheet on page 104 under the entry for terradon rider

The only where a terradon does have stats is page 91 and reference sheet on page 104 but this is only under mounts for lords and heroes

Originally I always thought these were the same entry, a terradon is a terradon in my mind, but since the daemons update, the screamers profile and rules were updated but it didnt have an entry to replace the screamer entry under lords and heroes mounts and I have come across people who say these are different entries in the army book thus the screamers in the heralds chariot do not get the new rules updates.

Were these guys just being rules lawyers (and you can use the stats for a terradon mount as the stats for a terradon rider) or are they actually different entries (and it would be technically incorrect to use the terradon stats for the terradon riders?)

Cheers for your help

15. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

no no, that's the problem, I'm looking at terrradons(the mount) not terradons with riders.

I don't think it matters in this instance though, since your still using the riders stats(which and up the same).

Though it might be different with a skink chief on board.

Also double checking the BRB DOES have the complete stat line for terradons, not parsing them out for terrradons(as a special) and terrradons(as a character mount).

are there any spells that affect just the mounts toughness/wounds? cuz in a case like that you might have to use the BRBs stats.

16. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Skink Chiefs are T3, W2 and Terradon Riders are T3, W2. No issue here. Additionally, MC uses all the same rules as regular Cavalry. With that:

Not for MC mounts.

17. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

just a slight misunderstanding.

p83 in the brb: monstrous cavalry always uses the highest wound characteristic between mount and rider. thats why for example a dark elf hero on a dark pegasus has 3 wounds rather than the usual 2. however, terradons have only one wound, and a skink brave has 2, so you use the riders' wounds in this case.

18. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

exactly.