8th Ed. Dual Salamanders

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Shaynoor, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Shaynoor
    Skink

Shaynoor New Member

Hello there.
    If I have a unit with two salamanders and 7 handlers, what will then happen if 6 of the handlers die?
    A: The unit continues as normal?
    B: The unit stops working, as there has to be minimum 1 handler to each sallly?
    C: Only one of the Sallys can continue walking, leaving the other to test on monsters reaction table? :artist:

Just curious, as I am think of running them 2x2 and have to consider wether I should go with 6, 7 or 8 handlers :)

2. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

A, works as normal. Rules say that when last handler dies they take monster reaction test, if passed act normal, if failed roll on monster reaction table

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

You can have 1 handler left in a 3 salamander unit and still have the unit work normaly...
    This in one of the advantages of runing larger Salamander units.

4. Shaynoor
    Skink

Shaynoor New Member

Thanks for the fast replies. I am now safe to go wtih 2x2 sallies, so I can modify my all-comers monster list :)

5. Shaynoor
    Skink

Shaynoor New Member

Also, I've been stumbling over some comments across this forum, saying Salamanders causeing auto-panic.
    Why is this so, and where is the rule that states this? :)
    I have been playing a few times with my sallies, but never used the effect of "auto-panic"

6. ThakCo
    Skink

ThakCo New Member

I don't currently have my book on me, but if I remember correctly in the salamander entry it states something along the lines of if a unit suffers a casualty from the salamanders shooting attack they must make a panic test. Thus you don't need to deal 25% casualties, just one.

7. Leokill27
    Razordon

Leokill27 New Member

Correct ThakCo, if the salamanders deal 1 casualty the unit has to take a panic test. Remember, if a unit passes a panic test that phase, that's it done, but also remember, that you have to resolve all shooting from the unit before the panic test :p

8. Benny6Toes
    Saurus

Benny6Toes New Member

Hrmm...I always played that as any unit taking a wound, but technically a casualty would be a model. so on units made up of multi-wound models, does a wound cause a panic test or only the loss of a model?

9. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

Only a casualty, so on multi-wound models you'd need to kill the whole model.

10. Benny6Toes
    Saurus

Benny6Toes New Member

awwwwww...crappy... :depressed:

11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

This is where Razordons are actually a little better...

12. Leokill27
    Razordon

Leokill27 New Member

I agree, i actually used 2 Razordons against an Ogres player at my club, they did pretty well.

One took out a scraplauncher and the other, with help from skinks, took out a unit of 6 leadbelchers.

And the stand and shoot from one killed I think 1 or 2 ironguts

So razordons can actually perform admirably. Albeit against the right opponent

13. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

The first game that I used razordons in I had one razordon that did almost nothing until he chased down a brettonian unit of knights with the general in the unit. He lost because I got off multiple charges on him. It was quite funny at the time.

14. Leokill27
    Razordon

Leokill27 New Member

Now thats impressive!

15. Benny6Toes
    Saurus

Benny6Toes New Member

I've been toying with the idea of running a pair of Sallies as a single unit with a single Razordorn right behind or just to the side. Fire with the Sallies first and then let loose with the Razordorn. They really need the Armor Piercing special rule though. I mean, they shoot giant spikes for Pete's sake! If those aren't likely to pierce armor...

16. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

Casualties means either wounded or dead, not just dead. You only need to cause a single wound to cause a panic test from salamanders.

17. Benny6Toes
    Saurus

Benny6Toes New Member

Yay! Hooray for me playing right (and life staying "easy")!

18. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

Actually there's a big heading in the BRB pg 45 that says 'Remove Casualties'... "The target unit suffers casualties for any wounds that have not been saved." If you go back a couple of pages it only ever says wounds and unsaved wounds.. never casualties which is what the Salamander requires for its panic test.

19. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Casualty
    In relation to personnel, any person who is lost to his organization by reason of having been declared dead, wounded, diseased, detained, captured or missing.
    -WIKIPEDIA

Commonly it means a casulity is incapable of futher combat because they are injured or dead.

GW, onthe other hand,
    refers to a casulity as a dead model.
    Whos ie removed from the game.

20. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

I have to say I'm with GW on this moment (never actually thought I'd write that..). This is a war game and a casualty in war tends to mean someone who is dead or injured severely enough that they're unable to continue fighting..