8th Ed. dwellers in combat

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Rettile, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

can a slann cast the dwellers if his temple guard unit is in combat?

2. david l
    Chameleon Skink

david l New Member

There is no general restriction on casting spells FROM close combat. There is a general restriction on casting INTO close combat.

3. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Just keep in mind that since dwellers is a direct damage spell, the targeted unit must be within the forward arc of the slaan and, as David I has indicated, the target cannot be in combat.

4. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

All above, plus the book states that if Slann is in a TG unit and not in the front rank(ie: enough TG to protect him), then he can cast as normal

5. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

the book states that if Slann is in a TG unit and not in the front rank(ie: enough TG to protect him), then he can cast as normal magic missiles :(
    it doesn't say anything about direct damage spells. My opponents say that i cannot cast the dwellers when my TG unit with the slann in is in combat. Are they right? If not, how can i prove it?

6. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Exact words: a slann placed in the second rank may still act as normal (he may cast spells, use magic items, act as general, army banner bearer, etc.)

On the note about magic missiles, magic missiles and direct damage have the same requirements when you look at the table in the back of the rule book. The palequin allows his line of sight to be just above the heads of the temple guard, which should allow you to get line of sight to units not in combat

7. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

ok, but they say that if the book specifies that the slann can cast magic missiles while his unit is in combat, it should also specify that he can cast direct damages if he could

edit: i found this on the web:

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/lizardmen/205945-slann-direct-dmg-spells.html

is it true?

8. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Your opponent is incorrect and attempting to pull the wool over your eyes. The Slann can cast Dwellers Below from within combat as long as his target is in his forward arc and not in close combat.

There are no limitations on a wizard casting anything but magic missiles from within combat. The Slann rules specifically call out magic missles because that is the only spell type that has a restriction on being cast when the caster is in combat.

Edit: for clarity.

9. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

1) The reason why the book specifies that the Slann can cast magic missiles while in combat is because if there wasn't this specific language, you would have to follow the general rule in the Rulebook, which says that he can't.

2) Since the book doesn't specify one way or the other about whether a Slann can cast Direct Damage spells while in combat, we need to follow the general rule in the Rulebook. The general rule is that there is no restriction on casting Direct Damage spells from comabt, so the Slann (just like every other wizard) can do it.

3) That thread from Librarium Online is answering in 7th Edition terms (the Slann is no longer a "Large Target" in 8th Ed.) so it doesn't really apply.

10. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

The specific references that address this issue are:

1) Page 31 - 1st and 4th bullet points under Choosing a Target and the description for Direct Damage spells.

2) Page 180 - the chart/table outlining what the restrictions & requirements are for different types of spells.

11. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

thank you, guys! in the next game i will dweller all the enemy units i can >:)