AoS Ebay Orgy : New Army Help Request

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Dr. Skinkers, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Dr. Skinkers
    Jungle Swarm

Dr. Skinkers Member

Okay so here's my story. New player here, I have $200(ish) burning a hole in my pocket, and I can't decide between:

• Seraphon: Start Collecting x2
    or
    • Start Collecting! Skinks x2
    or 1 of each....but for whatever reason, I'm drawn to Skinks.

Then, I've also got a box of Skinks and a Skink Starpriest in the cart as well. Shade over 200 (after careful hunting)

Trying to build a decent 1000-point list. Can you kind Lizard folks give me some direction here?

Much appreciated!

Kilvakar and Bowser like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  3. Dr. Skinkers
    Jungle Swarm

Dr. Skinkers Member

Yeah, the carnosaur is very very cool. Wish I knew what I was doing (from a rule standpoint), but good call.

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

First of all, welcome aboard!

i would go for 1+1.
    skinks are useful, you absolutely need a Starpriest and the Bastiladon is a solid dino. But the terradon riders atm are not a popular unit.
    saurus knights are a really good pick as battleline... saurus warriors not that much, but you'll have the carno. The only downside is that you'll have only 8 knights, which is a silly number.

5. Dr. Skinkers
    Jungle Swarm

Dr. Skinkers Member

Got it! At this early phase should I be concerned about Starborne or Coalesced? Or just buy 1+1 and buy other "cool" models and learn.

Bowser likes this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Personally i'd go for coalesced, but that's me.
    As soon as you will expand your army toward 2000 points, I also recommend to grab a Slann, i very rarely play without one.

Also: if you buy 1 box of start collecting seraphon, i suggest also a box of Saurus knights.
    in this way you'll have 16, enough to field 3x5 units and use the last one as scarvet on cold-one

7. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

Hey, welcome to the jungle! When first starting out, don't worry too much about Starborne vs. Coalesced. Just know that if you like big dinos, you'll want to play Thunder Lizards. But generally while Skinks are still more than viable in Coalesced, Saurus aren't nearly as good in Starborne. I'd personally go for one of each box, just because the units you'll get in the SC Seraphon box can all be used effectively, especially if you follow the Lustrian conversion guide ;)

Meanwhile, the units in the SC Skinks box are also amazing, expect maybe the Terradons, but even they're still good for a cheap, fast, objective grabbing unit in some battleplans. But definitely get a Slann Starmaster. They're basically an auto-include in most of our lists.

Bowser, Dr. Skinkers and Killer Angel like this.
  8. Dr. Skinkers
    Jungle Swarm

Dr. Skinkers Member

Ahh okay, putting Slann on the list. The Slann model is soooo badass looking, and beyond intimidating to paint. Here goes nothing though

Kilvakar and Bowser like this.
  9. Dr. Skinkers
    Jungle Swarm

Dr. Skinkers Member

Thank you! The humidity does wonders for my complexion. Not my hair.

Okay so 1+1 and then make a shot call of big stompy lizards or ......skinks and summoning (from what I've read). Sold.

Googling that conversion guide now.

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Don't worry about Lord Kroak for the moment. Just a regular slann will amply suffice. ;)

Kilvakar, Bowser and Dr. Skinkers like this.
  11. Dr. Skinkers
    Jungle Swarm

Dr. Skinkers Member

Hahahaha you have saved me some pennies right there. Oh Games Workshop, why must you make us all go on welfare.

12. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what I could add to the discussion, to be honest.

@Dr. Skinkers The biggest thing to keep in mind with the Seraphon: Start Collecting box is that you're not getting the proper unit increments for either Saurus Warriors (12 instead of 10) or Saurus Knights (8 instead of 5). Much of that is accounted for in the guide we have here in the forums for getting the most out of two of that starter box, but, barring any conversion work you may elect to do, you're going to be left with 5 models (4 Saurus Warriors, 1 Saurus Knight) that can't be taken as is if you do go that route. The same can also technically be said about the Skinks: Start Collecting box with the titular Skinks themselves (12 instead of 10), though that's purely down to the individual Skinks kit in general having 6 skinks per sprue (which, like those for Saurus Warriors, GW hasn't updated for a little under two decades).

As to where to expand from there, that's entirely up to you. At 1000pts, you're required to have a minimum of 1 LEADER unit and 2 BATTLELINE units, and may take up to 2 additional LEADER units, 2 BEHEMOTH units (including Heroes), and 2 ARTILLERY units. You may also allocate up to 2 reinforcement points among units that can be reinforced.

The biggest caveat is that no single unit in the army may take up more than 50% of the army's total allotment of points (personally, I wouldn't advise exceeding even 25% of the army's points on any single unit if I can help it - a tie-over from playing Horus Heresy).

With that said, just the two starter boxes alone will give you a neat and tidy 1000pt list with extras left over:

Saurus Scar-Vet on Carnosaur with Warspear (Leader, Behemoth) - 215pts
    Skink Starpriest (Leader) - 130pts
    10 Skinks with Javelins & Shields (Battleline) - 75pts
    10 Saurus Warriors with Clubs (Battleline) - 105pts
    5 Saurus Knights with Warspears (Battleline) - 110pts
    Bastiladon with Solar Engine (Behemoth) - 250pts
    3 Terradon Riders with Sunleech Bolas - 105pts

Total: 990pts.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    Just A Skink, Dr. Skinkers and Bowser like this.