8th Ed. Egg of quango, terradons, chief, and some BRB questions

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Jema, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Jema
    Skink

Jema New Member

Hello!

First time user here - I've been reading the forum for a while, and now I've accumulated a few questions I'm hoping to get a little help with.

First, some lizardmen specific ones:

1. In Canaghem's detailed review (thank you very much!), the skink chief is listed as having predatory fighter. Is this a typo (haven't read the book yet)? If it isn't, must it pursue?

2. Does wounds caused by the egg of quango count as combat attacks, and as such count toward CR? Secondly, are the hits distributed as shooting hits, and if it's used against a war machine, will it hit against the machines toughness or the crews?

3. If terradons drop rocks and cause a unit to panic and flee, do they flee away from the point where the terradons end their movement?

Some general ones:

4. In a combat between multiple units, what happens if one of the units kill all it's opponents, and is taken out of the battle (though the combat still continues between other units)? Does any bonus for flanking, ranks etc count? Does it even give CR for the wounds it caused?

5. Flaming attacks cause fear to certain beasts and monsters. Does this simply mean the unit cause fear against those types, so that a monster with terror would cause fear against it (terror against fear = fear), or must the monster take a fear test to overcome the flames? Is the unit with flaming attacks still affected by fear/terror from that enemy?

6. The rules state that you can position a charging combat unit however you like, as long as the charge move is enough and as many models as possible are in B2B on both sides.
    Say that two units 5 wide meet (same-size models). Instead of putting them straight in front of each other, you can position the charger so that it's one model to the side. This can have several tactical advantages, like decreasing attacks on characters at the edges, and to create space for supporting units.

aaaaa
    aaaaa
    aaaaa
    aaaaa
    CCCCC
    CCCCC D
    CCCCC
    CCCCC

Now, say you have another unit, D, on the side of C. The unit can see a, and wants to charge it. However, if it's positioned so that it must charge in the front rank, then unit B is in the way from it coming in B2B.

Can D charge? If yes, does it charge the flank? If no, does it charge and fail, moving forward, or can't it announce a charge at all until it positions itself so it can come in B2B?

Thanks in advance!
    /Jema

2. twistedmagpie
    Saurus

twistedmagpie Member

Hi, thats a good list of questions. I will help where I can....

1) You'll have to check the book, I don't think a SKink cheif has the Predatory Fighter rule, I think this is only saurus. If for any reason he does then yes he would need to follow all the special rules. However Canaghem may have meant something else by PF, I don't know.

2) Egg of Quango hits do count towards CR, they are also distributed as per shooting.
    2b) Warmachines use the machines toughness for ranged but crews toughness in close combat

3) I would imagine they flee from the terradons current possition (Assuming they are the most numerous threat)

4) You would gain bonus' for wounds dealt but not for flanks, charges or anything else. This was in a faq somewhere but I can't rememner where

5) Flaming attacks do not make you imune to fear or terror. You no longer need to take fear checks to charge units, terror only effects units when charged by a model with terror

6) I beleive you'd charge the flank - this is how we play anyway, however I would get confirmation on this elesewhere too.

Hope I've helped

3. Jema
    Skink

Jema New Member

Thanks, that clarified a few things.

The forum doesn't let me create blank spaces for nr6, so the example isn't entirely correct, but as it is, with C being wider than a, it still creates the same situation.

4. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I'll toss in my thoughts too:

1) Skinks do not have PF.

2) Yes to Combat Rez. The Egg is a close combat attack, it just happens to be distributed as a shooting attack. So you would use the crew's toughness.

3) Yes.

4) What Mr. Magpie said. If the unit is no longer there, it can't add any bonuses for ranks or flanking. The wounds it caused would still apply, however. Wounds iz wounds.

5) Yes, the unit with Flaming Attacks gains the Fear special rule against those certain units. Follow the normal Terror/Fear rules after that.

6) Looks like you'd have to hit the flank also, since there is no more room in the front. The unit is still an eligible charge target and you can easily get into the flank with your one 90-degree pivot.

5. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

I don't have a rule book handy, but I disagree on the answer to 6. If "D" is in the front arc of its charge target, it has to charge in the front. If it can't fit due to another unit, then the charge is failed. You can't get a "free" flank charge just because you have another unit in the way.

If I'm wrong, I'd love to be corrected, because that makes small/solo units even more useful.

6. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

Correct.
    Unit "D" is in the front arc, and can only charge into the front arc. If "D" has fly, he can actually hop over to the other corner and go corner to corner in the front. If he doesn't have fly, or if both corners of the front are covered, he cannot declare a charge.

-Matt

7. twistedmagpie
    Saurus

twistedmagpie Member

The rule book states that the unit charges which ever side the 'most units inthe front rank' are. So take a line and draw it 45deg from the corner model and see how many models of the front rank are in the flank arc, if it's the majority then you charge the flank.

I can see where the confusion lies though, you only put 1 'D', so if this was a single model then no it could not charge the flank...

aaaaa
    aaaaa
    aaaaa
    aaaaa
    CCCCCC
    CCCCCC
    CCCCCC D

But it would if it was more models wide...

aaaaa
    aaaaa
    aaaaa
    aaaaa
    CCCCCC
    CCCCCC
    CCCCCC DDDDD

Because 3 of the models in 'D' unit are in the flank arc

8. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

The charge will fail as you have your unit between your charging unit and the targeted one. So once you get blocked by your friendly unit, the charging one must stop at 1" and then failing the charge.

In the last example to properly not fail the charge the second unit shall be positioned like this.

A) your charging unit can wheel from the right corner and then make a straight move against the enemy unit in the flank. Once you engage with at least one base to base, you close the door.

aaaaa
    aaaaa
    aaaaa
    aaaaa
    CCCCCC DDDDD
    CCCCCC DDDDD
    CCCCCC

........DD
    aaaaaDD
    aaaaaDD
    aaaaaDD
    aaaaaDD
    CCCCCC
    CCCCCC
    CCCCCC

B) Your charging unit is further away from the flank of your engaged unit, so the charging unit can wheel to set up a straight move against the enemy unit without your firendly unit blocking the charge path.

aaaaa
    aaaaa
    aaaaa
    aaaaa
    CCCCCC
    CCCCCC
    CCCCCC ------>DDDDD

.........D
    .........D
    .........D
    aaaaaD
    aaaaaD
    aaaaa
    aaaaa
    CCCCCC
    CCCCCC
    CCCCCC

9. Jema
    Skink

Jema New Member

Good point with the flyer - hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for all the answers!
    If I can be so bold, I have two more that popped up yesterday:

7. Telepathic Confabulation: Does this allow you to swap spells with a skink priest, or only another slann/allied wizard?

8. Impact hits does not allow look out sir, but is distributed as shooting. Does this mean that a hit must be distributed to each model in the entire unit before a character is hit (unless the defending player chooses to allocate one before that)?

10. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

7. You can swap 2 spells with models with the same rule. So only Slann mage-priests,

8. Shooting impacts are done against the unit. If the unit has low numbers (i remember 4 or less equal to less than a rank) you have to allocate randomly the hits per model.

So if you have 4 infantry warriors and a hero there's 4/5 chance of hitting the unit. Leaving 1/5 chance to hit the hero.

if two hits are done on the same model of the unit, wounds carry over the unit and you have to remove the number of wounded miniatures from the unit, but those wounds wont harm the hero.

If the hero dies, the rest of the wounds dealt to him will not carry over the unit.

11. Jema
    Skink

Jema New Member

Then it's as I thought.

Alright, no more questions. Thanks to everyone!

12. Demelain
    Skink

Demelain Member

13. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

I dont have the BRB on my hands since im at work, but I'm sure the charge must be straight forward in 8th edition. And the only moves you can do is a starter wheel and the close door wheel to keep more b2b models in combat.

They did the rules easier to avoid werid situations that lead the players into argues about what is allowed.

If I am wrong plz tell me what page i shall read.

14. twistedmagpie
    Saurus

twistedmagpie Member

On page 20 of the BRB it states that you are allowed a free 90deg wheel at any point in the charge. This would be sufficient. In fact, you get to close the door for free as well.

15. sorrowquin
    Cold One

sorrowquin New Member

This is true.

It's never stated that your 90° turn must be at the start of your movement. You have one free turn up to 90° at any point during your charge. (P.20 BRB)
    You must use this turn to maximize models in B2B.

16. bobhope99
    Skink

bobhope99 New Member

Not quite, If the unit has less that 5 RnF models the defending player gets to assign the hits, no model may take more than 1 until all models are assigned 1 each, and so on. A unit with 4 saurus and a scar-vet taking 4 hits could put all 4 on the unit, that unit taking 6 hits could put 2 on the scar-vet or 5 on the unit. There is no dice roll involved.