1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KoW Experience with Kings of War?

Discussion in 'Salamanders Discussion' started by Pinktaco, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Mantic games are making a reptilian army list, among many others, after the release of the second edition rule book.

So have any of you tried the actual game?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  2. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I got to observe two of my Warhammer buddies trying it out (KoW v1) using starter kits. That is all.

3. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

And what's your thought on what you observed?

4. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

It is all about the units. And it avoids having to mess with individual figures so much. No removing casualties. You do track casualties. But the figures stay put. I believe it used D6s for everything.

DBM and DBA use stands of figures, The figs are permanently attached. KoW is similar but the authentic Mantic minis can be removed as casualties if that is how a player wants to track it. But basically the unit tray has 30 wounds, just like a monster might have multiple wounds.

This means you could used a D12, a D8 or one of those odd crystal dice as a wounds marker. Cube dice for rolling, other dice for for wound counting.

Pinktaco likes this.
  5. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

I've played one game, using the Herd list with my Lizardmen vs an Elf list.

I made some poor decisions in my deployment phase, and when my Elf opponent went first he was able to wipe out 3 of my units on his first turn. But I was able to take advantage of the terrain and hide from his archers and use my healer to keep my units battle worthy long enough to get into hand-to-hand.

The terrain rules are far better than True Line of Sight, and really make deployment and movement mean something against shooty armies.

Characters are more support units in KoW. I ran a Shaman on a Beast (Troglodon) and a Chief on a Chariot (Carnosaur) because I was used to characters being super powerful. But those points would have been better spent on Shamans on foot (so they can hide from shooting behind my lines) and more units (to soak up wounds)

The best part of KoW is that the setup/cleanup is so fast. Because you don't remove models, when the game is over you are immediately ready to play another game!

I'm excited to play another game. And I hope this catches on, because the artwork people can create with units-as-dioramas is going to be intense!

Qupakoco and neoanomally like this.