1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Faction-Specific Endless Spells

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by ChapterAquila92, Jul 14, 2018.

1. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Whilst it remains to be seen if GW will actually do such a thing, with Stormcast and Nighthaunt both getting three each of their own themed endless spells on top of the default from Malign Sorcery in 2e, I wouldn't be surprised if other factions in Age of Sigmar eventually got their own.

For Seraphon at least, a predatory endless spell inspired by the old jungle swarms would be interesting to see.

GN93 likes this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

A big Jungle Swarm would be cool.
    Or frog rain like in one of those old artworks from earlier editions.
    Or some earthquake thing...

GN93 and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I'd like some endless spells that interact with our summoning in some way. Either an endless spell that would generate points or a summon that is essentially an endless spell. In the case of a summon have a dispell attempt deal damage to it that can't be saved, even with a ward-save (e.g. say it summoned a bunch of saurus just remove 5 models, say it summoned a bastiladon just remove 5 wounds).

Could be an interesting mechanic, it fits with our summoning focus and it's a hell of a lot more interesting than yet another "deals D3 damage to whatever it moves over" spell. Seriously, what is with GW's obsession with D3 mortal wounds for spells, nearly everything does it.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  4. MinhoAbernathy
    Saurus

MinhoAbernathy Member

I would really like a giant jungle swarm or mabye a giant snake. Something to generate summoning points would be great as well.

5. Aginor
    Slann

I'd like something that heals/does damage as well, perhaps a "Memory of Sotek" shaped like a feathered serpent.

6. PabloTho
    Razordon

PabloTho Well-Known Member

I would love to see something like Mazdamundi's Ruination of Cities from TW. Might be difficult to translate into model form but would be a cool idea.

7. Aginor
    Slann

What does it do?

8. PabloTho
    Razordon

PabloTho Well-Known Member

Basically a giant, localized earthquake in which the ground is opened up/explodes upwards underneath the enemy. Might not make any sense lore-wise though, given it's Mazdamundi's signature spell and he was leagues more powerful than average Slann.

9. Aginor
    Slann

That was millennia ago though, so it might actually be that current Slann are now more powerful than Mazdamundi ever was.

As for bringing it to the tabletop: would be easy enough, just have a marker for the epicentre of the earthquake and each round there is damage (or some debuff representing how hard it is to fight on shaky ground). Maybe most damage for close units, and then after the first quake the spell rages on, but gets weaker. Round 1 could do d3+1 (d6 in the centre), round 2 does d3, round 3 or later does one mortal wound to everything that cannot fly within the radius.

Something along those lines.

PabloTho likes this.
  10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Have the earthquake launch models away from the epicenter, that'd be neat.

pendrake and Aginor like this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

I had that idea as well, but then I wondered if that would make sense, because models care about stuff in the way and an earthquake doesn't.

12. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

It could “do what it says on the tin”. Wreck Buildings.

13. pendrake
    Skink Priest

That is a nifty spell effect. Almost like realistic physics. But the more I think about it: that’s a cometary impact.

Recall the Tunkguska Strike: trees flattened in every direction, laid out radiating away from an epicenter.

Launched away from a central point implies shockwave effects.

14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Depends on how the ruination of cities works physically. Given that it's magic and not tectonic movement I'd say there's two possibilities:

1) It creates a giant hole in the epicentre, everything else collapses onto it thus mimicking an earthquake
    2) The epicentre sorta explodes somewhere below the earth flinging everything outwards.

Depending on which one it'd be everything would either move towards or away from the epicentre. Though regardless stuff on the epicentre should probably die horribly if it can't fly.

Models have to move x", suffer D3 wounds per inch for which the movement is blocked by buildings/other people. Things getting hit by people being flung about also suffer wounds in the same way. Solved :p

Also, terrain should move as wel, but at half speed cuz it's heavy and stuff. WOuld be cool to blow a hole in a wall and flank your opponent

15. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Neither of these ^ really describes ^ the effects of an earthquake.

1) Is a decent description of a sinkhole suddenly revealing itself. (However, insufficient force to mimic an earthquake.)

1.5) An underground nuclear test does this also, but in that case the entire table would collapse and the contents of adjacent tables would collapse into the newly formed valley. (Now that would be strong enough to register as an earthquake.)

2) Good description of a 500kg bomb impacting the tabletop, it would penetrate the ground to a depth of 10-15 feet (2-3 inches), detonate “flinging everything outwards”, and it would leave a crater four inches (20 feet) deep with a radius of forty feet at least. (That would require placing a 16 inch diameter crater terrain piece on the table.)

16. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah sure you cannot really depict the scale of some events on the tabletop. It is a concession to gameplay.

17. Willsabeefcake
    Skink

Willsabeefcake New Member

A floating birthing pool!!! Something that's super hard to cast (9/10) but hard to dispel in turn. Generates 2d6 skinks or d6 saurus guard every turn and keeps moving around. Gets extra if it's near the slan. Love the serpent idea for damage dealing.

ChapterAquila92 and Koriialstraz like this.
  18. Aginor
    Slann

To be honest I think we have enough summoning already.

19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

go away with your physics, if we'd scale it anything that'd be limited to just the table wouldn't qualify as an earthquake :p

I rather like that idea. It moves some of the summoning away from the slann, allowing them to cast more spells or be left out altogether. Also it gives our skinks heroes some value if they can tend to it.

Make the pool float around and roll a d6:
    On a 1, nothing happens.
    2-3: heal 1 wound on each unit near it (ressurecting models)
    4-5: heal D3 wounds or summon d6 skinks or warriors, D3 guard or 1 kroxigor.
    6: Heal D3 wounds and pick one of the summons.

A nearby slann can cast a spell to force the effect he wants, but can only force it if the same effect didn't happen the previous turn.
    Having 1 skink hero on foot tending to the pool allows re-rolls of 1.
    Having 2 skink heroes adds 1 to the result of the roll.

Somehting like that'd be neat.

Imho, I'd also love for the EoTG to be changed into basicly this. It'd give it a much clearer purpose and roll. Plus

We have "sufficient" summoning, but currently it's has about 0 interaction with the opponent and barely any interaction with ourselfs. Shifting some of it to an endless spells opens up options for interaction. Plus it's far more satisfying to cast a spell in order to summon than it is to have your slann sit in the back looking pretty and doing nothing to generate points. I'd love for interactions and for mechanics to generate points that aren't "have your slann do nothing"....

20. Aginor
    Slann

Fair point.

ChapterAquila92 and Canas like this.