8th Ed. Fast Cav

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by hdctambien, Mar 19, 2014.

1. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

I've been playing against a majority Fast Cav Dark Elf army lately, and it seems like Fast Cav move almost as freely as Flyers. Particularly because he has a block of 6x3 Warlocks that can move between the smalles gaps and go rediculously far. How much manuverability does the Free Reform ability give Fast Cav?

The Free Reform rule reads:

"A Fast Cav unit is allowed to reform as many times as it wishes during its move, even if it marches, provided that no model ends up moving a number of inches higher than double its Movement value"

The reform rule reiterates the movement restriction:

"Keeping the center point of the unit the same, arrange the unit into a new formation of as many ranks as you please, facing whichever direction you wish. Remember that none of the models in the unit can move more than twice their Movement rate."

But then there is a FAQ that reads:

Q: When moving Fast Cavalry or Skirmishers, should I measure
    from the location of each model before it moves and place it anywhere
    within its Movement Allowance (or double its Movement Allowance
    if it is marching) ? (p68, 77)
    A: Yes. Except when there is a unit or impassable terrain in
    the way, the distance moved must include the distance
    required to move around these obstacles.

So, does the FAQ mean that a Fast Cav unit doesn't actually have to physically reform? THey basically start moving, 1 model at a time and then reform into some formation when they all reach their destination?

I've attached a picture of how I imagine the rule would work for a big block of Fast Cav, and also how my opponent implements the rule via the FAQ ruling. (sorry about my chicken scratch)

FastCav.jpg
    http://jemgames.com/rsrc/warhammer/FastCav.jpg

Attached Files:

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yea, they move similar to Skink Skirmishers.
    (in this instance so long as the guys in front didn't go further than a regular march, this is legal)

3. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

Well poo.

On the up side, I've been under the impression that my skirmishers could pivot in place, but had to wheel like a normal unit. They just got a lot more maneuverable!

4. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

Yeah, the FAQ answer is pretty much GW saying "We really did expect you to reform as you go, but we also know that you can get really, really, really crazy with the process. In the end, as long as nobody moves to far, go for it. Sorry, but we can't really think of a better way to explain what we mean."

In this case, I'm actually ok with the laziness on their part since the models do still have to individually not move further than possible and you still have to have gaps wide enough for the base and the 1" to either side of the model without units in the way. All it takes is just a little bit of planning to keep those gaps more narrow than 2 inches + 25mm.

EDIT: Here's a quick diagram.

FastCav.jpg

Note in particular the path of the red line. That model in the back right has to spin to point toward the first 'point' on the path, spin at that point (so that it is narrow enough to clear the gap), move far enough past the back corner of the unit on the left so that when it spins (reforms) to head to the right its base will not get to within one inch of the back corner of the left unit, and then move to its final position. It could not, for instance, make a diagonal movement after clearing the back of the unit on the right since in so doing, it would swing too close to the unit on the left. It must push well past the left unit before spinning to head right.

That's a lot of 'stay clear of 1 inch at all times' to take into account. It's not quite as simple as pick up and go.

Mo' EDIT: I decide to take some quick pix to make it more clear. Appologies for the craptastic quality of the images.

The first sequence shows a pistolier trying to go between two blocks of skeletons. This is just an expansion on the red-line image from above. Keep in mind he would be part of a larger unit. The photos only show the one guy that would represent the model moving along that red line.

START
    FC01.jpg

FIRST REFORM
    FC02.jpg

FIRST MOVE
    FC03.jpg

SECOND REFORM
    FC04.jpg

SECOND MOVE
    FC05.jpg

THIRD REFORM
    FC06.jpg

THIRD MOVE
    FC07.jpg

FOURTH REFORM
    FC08.jpg

Now let's show where it can go wrong.

THE MODEL MOVES TO CLEAR THE UNIT ON THE RIGHT
    FC09.jpg

THE MODEL REFORMS/TURNS TO HEAD RIGHT, BUT IT IS NOW TOO CLOSE TO THE UNIT ON THE LEFT.
    THIS WOULD BE THE ATTEMPT TO CUT THE CORNER/MOVE DIAGONALLY I MENTIONED ABOVE. CAN'T DO IT.
    FC10.jpg

SO...IT MOVES FURTHER...
    FC11.jpg

...AND TRIED TO REFORM/TURN TO HEAD RIGHT, BUT IT'S BACK END IS STILL TOO CLOSE TO THE UNIT ON THE LEFT.
    FC12.jpg