1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Fiery Con / high magic lore attribute question

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by wildsaint, Oct 30, 2015.

1. wildsaint
    Skink

wildsaint Member

so i have a question.

if i cast Fiery convication sucessfully and then use the lore attribute to swap it ou for a new spell at the end of the magic phase, does it still remain in play?

2. DrMad
    Skink

DrMad Member

Yes it does, as the spell is resolved before you swap for a new one. It only ends if the target is dead, your Slann gets removed or you choose to end it!

NIGHTBRINGER and n810 like this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Agreed.

4. wildsaint
    Skink

wildsaint Member

interesting as that was my view.

the view of the chaos player was that it didnt. he referred to a some text in the brb on remains in play spells that the wizard needs to keep a little concentration each magic phase to keep it going and hence if you swap it out then you lose the knowledge of the spell to do that.

5. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

I'd actually argue that as well. Kinda makes sense, but it's a tough situation. Probably better to just flip a coin or roll a dice and then agree that way.

6. DrMad
    Skink

DrMad Member

The sentence with the "little concentration" is more a fluff-logic reason, why the wizard can't cast the spell again while it's in effect. (Btw, where does it say that the little concentration can't be kept up when the spell is forgotten? Wizard is still fully able to concentrate)
    The BRB states pretty clearly that a "Remains in Play" spell -> remains in play ;) as long as the wizard is alive, the target is alive and the wizard doesn't choose to end it.
    There is nothing stating, that it ends when the wizard forgets the spell (like swapping or the "power drain" miscast).

NIGHTBRINGER and Rettile like this.
  7. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

It can also end when your opponent dispels it.

Here's the best argument I can come up with to counter this.

If the Slann cast the spell with Irresistible Force, scored a miscast that caused him to "forget" that spell, would the spell no longer remain in play.
    Of course not. A miscast does not prevent the spell from functioning as normal. Therefore you don't have to "known" the spell to maintain it.

Or you can be a RAW purist. The rulebook clearly states what factors can shut down an Remains in Play and caster forgets the spell is not on the list.

DrMad, tom ndege and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  8. wildsaint
    Skink

wildsaint Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I think the crowd on here are a balanced bunch and the resounding verdict seems to swing towards " Remains in play".

i feel less guilty about standing my ground on this issue.

9. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

It's not an unfair spell by any means. It's really hard to cast and Strength 4 won't chew through Chaos Warriors very fast. It's mediocre-ness is WHY you generally want to swap it out after one casting.

10. DrMad
    Skink

DrMad Member

Of course! Forgot to mention that :banghead: