8th Ed. fighting slann

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Rettile, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

sorry for this question (that could be the most stupid in the world), but... can a slann fight? I always though no, and I think it's natural, but in this topic http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10177 Ferocious said "after 4 rounds of combat i ran the noble down". I know we'll never see a ninja slann or something similar (and i say thanks to the old ones for this), but is it possible? Mazdamundi fight with a magical weapon... The sure thing it's that it would be horrible to see this abomination...

2. Mahtis
    Cold One

Mahtis New Member

The slann can fight (fighting with magic is still fighting), or are you talking about physical fighting

If you look at the ws and str, they are the same as for a skink. By this one can assume that it's the skink attendant who attacks instead of the slann.. but I don't know for Mazdamundi, he has the same stats ws2 and str 3 but the mace is called Mazdamundis, so either Mazdamundi is not wielding his own named mace or the slanns and skinks have the same ws and str.

I think slanns magical prowess could work for his favour when fighting in close combat, but it doesn't appear in the statline. But really, if a nod from a slann can cause the extinction of a whole city, does he really need to be able to swing a sword/mace?

3. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

no, in fact i hope it cannot fight (yes, i mean physical fighting)

4. Rhodium
    Kroxigor

Rhodium New Member

Is this a rules question or a fluff question?

Rules wise: yes he can fight, he has a statline and can wield magic weapons e.t.c within the mechanics and rules of the game he fights.

Fluff wise: it suggests he does not fight and the skink attendant does his bidding physically , however Mazdamundi seems to dispute this, maybe he is a skilled active slann??

If you are a fluff addict and have concerns allowing a slann to fight, consider the skinks attacking and they wield any magical weapons the slann has

5. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

so, if a slann isn't equipped with a magical weapon, he cannot fight. Right?

6. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

A Slann can always fight, regardless of what weapons he has. Ferocious was just stinking lucky. Plus his Slann was a BSB, so he likely always at least had 1 combat resolution after the first round.

In the 6th edition LM army book (when the current Slann model came out), the Slann had a rule called Contemplation. This rule read as follows:

In the current 7th edition book, this rule is non-existant. With that rule gone, it's debatable whether the attack is still now made by the Skink attendant. If that is the case, it is certainly feasible that the Slann have agreed to let the little buggers wear armor and take a magic weapon.

Referencing the 8th edition BRB, Page 4 states:

The Slann has no zeroes in the statline, so it can indeed fight. Interpret the attack as you may.

Don't forget that the Slann gets a supporting attack when in Temple Guard.

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

If you go alllllll the wayyyy back to 5th edition Slan where actualy decent in close combat.

{fully loaded Slan}
    M4
    WS6
    BS5
    S6
    T5
    W8
    I6
    A8

4+ SAVE

Mind you it will set you back 550 points without equipment.... :shifty:

This reflects them being carried by 4 Saurus though....

8. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

Oh, how I miss that 5th edition Combat Slann...

9. Ferocious
    Temple Guard

Ferocious New Member

adding the than called flaming sword of ruin and it would be slannthirster of khorne xD

10. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Here's my thinking on a scenario where a Slann fights.

Usually you only get him in base contact if he's got the ethereal discipline, so you know he won't get hit back. Let's assume he's an ethereal Slann.

Now also assume that for whatever reason (maybe you're going scar vet heavy) you decide to take the Beasts Lore.

Ok, so you're probably planning on taking lots of scar vets and boosting them to scary levels with Savage Beast of Horros, which gives a single character +3 strength and +3 attacks. But the important thing is that this spell hits all characters within 12 inches if cast on a 20. Safe to say, when the lines meet, you want all your scar vets to get this boost.

Also, the Slann gets the boost as the caster of the spell. So you might as well equip your Slann to take advantage of the fact that he will get the buff whenever he casts the 20+ version of the spell.

Give him the fencer's blades for 35 points. With all these buffs the Slann is at...

Ethereal
    WS 10
    S 6
    T 4
    W 5
    I 2
    A 5
    4+ ward

5 strength 6 attacks at weapon skill 10 is nothing to laugh at, especially if the unit you are fighting has no magical attacks. He can already "tank" a unit of monstrous cav, a big monster with non-magical attacks, etc from the simple fact that they can't hit him and he has +1 res for the BSB. With these upgrades he can start causing wounds and winning combats! And practically speaking, the WS 10 will serve him well when he's on the defensive, making him a little harder to hit.

The best part about this build is the look on an oppnent's face when you declare the charge with the solo Slann. But practically speaking he will probably be inside a saurus unit, except now he's helping boost the kill count.

From a fluff perspective... I don't see this as the Slann actually wielding the blades. Imagine him remaining motionless while two magical blades whirl around in front of him, hacking people up.

EDIT: Ok, I guess it could be the skink attendant, but the image in my head is better.

11. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I believe that the slann cannot take any melee weapon. I am not sure where that is in the book, but I remember it coming up once before when we were discussing the fencers blades.

However, if you want a slann with a weapon, take Mazdamundi. Cobra dagger ASF. Take lore of light and he can be really dangerous (really expensive too though).

12. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Because the Slann's Weapons and Armour entry says "None"? I see the argument there, because since he doesn't come with a normal "hand weapon" then he can't take a magical one... which would make it just like armor. The BRB doesn't bear this out however...

p.500 under Selecting Magical Items
    "Where a model has the option of choosing one or more magic items, it will be clearly stated in his army list entry, as will any restrictions on the magic items he can take."

No restrictions stated in Slann's entry. Just says "magic items up to 100 points".

"In addition to any specific restrictions noted in the relevant Warhammer Armies book, there are rules that govern the selection of all magic items, regardless of the bearer's allegiance. These can be summarised as follows:"

1. UNIQUE - refers to non-duplication of items.
    2. BALANCE OF POWER - can only have 1 item from each category.
    3. MAGICAL INTERFERENCE - Explicitly refers ONLY to armor. It explains that you must be able to take mundane armor in order to be able to take magical armor.

p.501 under magical weapons
    Makes no reference to any special limitations for mages.

FAQ has not countered any of these, so feel free to weapon up your Slann!

13. Ferocious
    Temple Guard

Ferocious New Member

ethereal slann with fencers blades and crown of command is awesome!