1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Firelance or klaq-tor's talons

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Trogdore, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Trogdore
    Jungle Swarm

Trogdore New Member

Hello, I'm new to AOS and am interested in seraphon. I've been looking at their options and I was curious what some of you veteran players thought about these two formations givin how similar they are.

Bowser likes this.
  2. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

One is the start collecting battalion which will be obsolete once you get some more models and start doing matched play. Only the firelance starhost is legal in matched play because it has a points value assigned to it

Bowser likes this.
  3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

IIRC Talon is in the Godbeast, but yeah, actually it has no points value.
    Anyway, 3 carnos are fun. :D

If you are interested, I can do a quick overview of all our formations...

InfamousBeany, Bowser and Seraphage like this.
  4. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Yes please ! Go for it !

Bowser likes this.
  5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

As said the firelance will be legal for matched play, while Klaq-Tor's can be used in free play. But honestly the firelance is the better of the two, or if you're taking 3 carnos, throw another saurus hero in there and take a bloodclaw.

6. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Joshua Horchler Well-Known Member

Hello Trogdore,

If you're looking for a way to A) Utilize the start collecting box and B) play with Knights and Carnosaurs, I started a thread about some of my lists that led to some good discussion. If you buy two start collecting boxes, you can have almost everything you need for the Bloodclaw (use the knight leaders to make Scar Vets on Coldones). Here is one example of how to use the Bloodclaw Starhost:

Bloodclaw Starhost:
    - Knights gain additional attack Jaws and Shields
    - All heroes within 20" of Oldblood can use command ability!
    Oldblood: gives all heroes the ability to add 2 attacks to one weapon!
    - Scar Vets on Coldone, add +2 to their Warpick for 5 attacks and if they roll a 4 afterwards, they get to attack again for 5 more!!! :)
    - Scar Vet on Carnosaur - add +2 attacks to their Jaws for big damage
    3x Scar Vets on Coldones:
    - Able to use Savage Charge 3 TIMES!
    - Sarus units Reroll 1's for charges and hits (within 8")
    - Knights gain an additional attack with bite! (Stacks for 3 ADDITIONAL ATTACKS)
    - If given Relic Blades, fairly likely, under Old One's buff, to do 10 attacks at +3 +3, -1 rend, 2 dmg. Can't beat that for 100 points.
    Knight Unit (x5): All buffed up:
    - Don't forget about the battleshock test synergies that the knights offer.
    - 5x Lances/Blades
    - 25 Vicious Bites
    - 10 Powerful Jaws
    - reroll all hits of 1
    - average of 14 wounds (at - rend)

In my opinion the Knights are not very powerful, in fact they are kind of chumps. Two good ways to use them are as cheap charge units that can be an okay screen for your heroes and to get the combat numbers in your favor (you want an odd number so you have the final combat). IMO, If you go the Bloodclaw route their dmg, buffed by the heroes, is more reliable than it would be under the Firelance Starhost. Hope that helps!

Trogdore and Bowser like this.
  7. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Doesn't the battleshock test abide by the rule of one ? Or 3 units with 3banners can end up with a +3 to the battleshock ?

Bowser likes this.
  8. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Nope, not rule of 1, and that stacks, so if you have 3 units of knights within 5 inches of an enemy they take the +3 to battleshock.

Ecozh and Seraphage like this.
  9. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Holy moly ! Why didn't I know of this so far ?! Now this is something to think on, thanks !

Bowser likes this.
  10. Trogdore
    Jungle Swarm

Trogdore New Member

Thank you guys so much. I have one get started Box and I just picked up a second. Kind off subject but what do you think of a 40 lizard strong squad of warriors led by a sunblood?

Bowser likes this.
  11. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

Depending on game size . Points size it may or not be legal. There is a good thread with regards to the saurus block sizes and weapons choices already on one of the forums. Could be a good place to check

12. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Hey Trogdore, I am not the most seasoned AoS player on this forum but i've played TableTop games competitively for a decade. I would say that 30-40 man blocks would be a decent way to use Warriors, maybe even the best way. I would look to go back to the Bloodclaw formation if you want to run a big block. The best way to play Seraphon IMO is to stack buffs.

Here are some synergies you can use:
    Skink Priest with Priestly Tappings : re-roll run, charge and saves

Sunblood: reroll to hit rolls against targeted enemy

Scar-Vet on Carnosaur - immediately make another attack for that model if a 6 to hit is rolled. This is particularly good with a 40 man block because you are rolling so many to hit dice. More chances to get a 6 are also created when you miss and then reroll due to the Sunblood.

Oldblood (on foot) - A unique ability that could really be useful for maximizing your charges and tricky movements. ****Also allows rerolls to wound of 1!

I would say the Sunblood, Priest and Carnosaur make a large block of warriors a lot better. With the Priest and Sunblood active, you reroll everything except to wound.

The Sunclaw starhost is okay, but if you are looking to run a big block of Warriors I would go Bloodclaw and look to stack those buffs. I will mention that a lot of people prefer to pay up for Guard. They are more expensive, but they are also battleline, are easy to get a +2 re-rollable save and do a lot more damage.

Hope that helps a little!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Trogdore, Bowser and MerciaBear like this.
  13. MerciaBear
    Cold One

MerciaBear Active Member

Very useful thanks!

y useful

Joshua Horchler likes this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

I'll do, but I fear you'll have to wait 'til i put some order in the mess that happened today, when life hit the fan... :p

Bowser likes this.
  15. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

I think an interesting place to start a 2k list would be something like this:
    Leaders
    Saurus Oldblood (100) (Reroll rolls of 1 to wound, use to add 3 inches of "movement" and for rearranging in combat)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (260)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (260)
    Saurus Sunblood (120)
    Skink Priest (100)
    - Priestly Trappings
    Battleline
    40 x Saurus Warriors (400)
    - Clubs
    5 x Saurus Knights (120) (I would use these units as screen fodder for my two Scar Vets)
    5 x Saurus Knights (120)
    Units
    Battalions
    Bloodclaw Starhost (100)
    Total: 1580/2000

You could take this a few different places. Add 2 5 man chameleon skinks for some back-line pressure and over-all goodness. Add more big monsters. Add a Skink Starpriest (Super good). Even fit in another battalion like Shadowstirke. Sorry for typing so much, I just get excited about Theory crafting and list building! :)

16. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

'Don't those banner explicitly say "when in range of A banner subtract 1" not "for each banner in range substract 1"?

Bowser likes this.
  17. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

"Models in this unit may carry terrifying stardrake icons. If a battleshock test is made for an enemy unit within 5" of any stardrake icons, add 1 to the result."

That's the exact wording.

So does that actually work against the Bloodroar ability of our Carnosaurs? Werid.

18. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Sounds like it's capped at +1

19. Killer Angel
    Slann

The enemy wants its battleshock roll as lower as possible. Stardrake icons gives a +1... however, a final resul of 2 or 3 is still good.
    The bloodroar hits when the enemy rolls low, turning its good result in a bad one.

Basically, if the enemy rolls high, you don't need the bloodroar, if the roll is low then the bloodroar kicks in.

it's win-win!

Seraphage and MerciaBear like this.
  20. Trogdore
    Jungle Swarm

Trogdore New Member

Thanks again guys this is a lot of great info to put together my army.

Joshua Horchler likes this.