1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS First army building help for campaign

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Lacelotte, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Lacelotte
    Skink

Lacelotte New Member

Evening all!

Ok so I'll start by admitting I'm a recent convert from the High Elves but upon returning to the game Seraphon... Well... Seraphon. Need I say more?

Anyway. So my local store is running a campaign tomorrow which I'm hoping to get in on and use my somewhat small Seraphon army to get some practice in. It's 40 wounds max and we have to choose a model (on foot) to represent us. That model will not have normal attributes assigned to them but instead have random ones made up of some kind of formula they have in store.

I'm going to work then on the assumption that I will have around 35 wounds left to play with and I was hoping you guys may be able to help me decide what else to field.
    16 Saurus Knights
    22 Saurus Warriors
    Trogladon
    Engine of the gods
    Saurus old blood on carnosaur
    Full pack of skinks (22/24?)

As you can see I just have the makings of an army but hoped to field it. Have you any suggestions?

I could mix army with some high elves (thinking swordmasters of hoth for example) if you think my Seraphon wouldn't have enough on their own.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Depends on your summoning rules, but I would take engine, two units of 5 knights and 1 unit of 5 saurus. 35 wounds. Then try to use engine to summon in the oldblood and more knights

Lacelotte likes this.
  3. Lacelotte
    Skink

Lacelotte New Member

Thanks for the reply, Bowser.

I'm not 100% on summoning but the number 15 was definitely involved. So that's more likely to be 15 wounds max rather than 15 units isn't ?

I must admit I'd forgotten the engine could summon which is a bonus since I've no slann yet and figured I'd be at a disadvantage.

4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

If you can only summon in 15 wounds, I would start with,

EotG
    10 knights
    5 Warriors

And summon in the warriors, keep the 5 warriors close to the EotG to slow up the enemy, summon in the warriors and deploy for a counter.

@Bowser has more experience than me at AOS but we both have the same army plan just a different approach to summoning.

Bowser likes this.
  5. Lacelotte
    Skink

Lacelotte New Member

Thanks, Crowsfoot. I can see where you are both going with the battleplan now; it makes far more sense than my initial urge to field a carnosaur then fill up around him.

A summoning army is far different to anything I've used before but I am hooked with these guys now. Just need to get into the right mentality to use them properly and get some more experience fielding them.

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

@Crowsfoot is probably right with his tactic, the only reason I gi gor the carno first turn is to give them a big scary target to take the bullseye off of the engines head! No guarantee younwill be able to summon though, so as crowsfoot said, your warriors should stay back to defend the engine.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Thing with summoning the Carny is you could fail and waste the summon, EotG can do some serious damage if you keep the enemy tied up for a turn or two, flank charge with the knights and your on a winner.

Bowser likes this.
  8. Lacelotte
    Skink

Lacelotte New Member

I think there is a snag with this plan. Isn't a unit of warriors 10 models minimum? That's the impression I just got from going through the Battletome.

Bugger

Bowser likes this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Ok so go,

EotG
    5 knights
    15 Warriors

And summon in Knights

Bowser likes this.
  10. Lacelotte
    Skink

Lacelotte New Member

Just wanted to thank you guys again.

Had game against some Daemons of Tzeentch today and whilst it didn't quite go to plan I still walked away with the head of opponents champion and a decent bit of experience.

I didn't manage to summon a single thing with the engine but was able to use the seering beam to cause plenty of damage at range.

I lost all warriors quite early on to archangel bolts and ranged attacks but they lasted long enough to charge engine right into the core of his army and it really turned the game around.

Thanks again fellas

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  11. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Glad it all worked out for you! I sometimes forget how hard it is to get your way with the engine without a slann or a starseer present! Good thing the engine is great either way! Haha!