1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Flying Rules...

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by jevan, Aug 15, 2017.

1. jevan
    Skink

jevan New Member

So is flying in Age of Sigmar just a specialized form of ground movement? I.e. Ignoring movement rules across other troops and across terrain? It seems like they are just hopping over things in each of their movement Phases. It seems like they are never truly airborne and they begin and end the turn on the ground. I understand that AoS is a hugely simplified version of the old rules but it seems crazy that a flying unit cannot remain airborne…

Captaniser likes this.
  2. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

Officially, no. Flying units count as flying at all times unless you have a special rule that allows them to land (Ripperdactyls for example). They count as being as high up as their flight stand allows. If an enemy model can't reach the model from the ground, they are immune to their attacks.

However, this relies on you playing the as written rules where you measure the distance from the plastic of the model itself, instead of the base. The vast majority of players seem to use base-to-base measurement (as in the old rules) so the flying rules effectively see models landing and working as you described.

So really it depends on how you play the game. If you play the game "properly" flying units are far more powerful and remain airborne after moving. If you play the base-to-base house rule flying units simply ignore obstacles and land after moving.

3. jevan
    Skink

jevan New Member

Thanks for the reply Phoedinn! I cannot find any clarifications on flying anywhere from GW. There is nothing in the FAQ on Flying.
    So if i want my flyers to remain flying, I can re-base them with taller vertical basing and they can't be attacked except by missle weapons? All GW flying bases are very short and allow nearly every ground unit the ability to hit it, based on the "plastic-to-plastic" measuring system. So in effect, GW has my Ripperdactyls cruising along the ground at melee height. Very confusing and needs some serious clarification. I would think something along the lines of a dice denoting altitude in 10' increments or anything along those lines.

Phoedinn likes this.
  4. Phoedinn
    Razordon

The flying rules really are written as more of an addition to the usual rules. basically, they are land units sitting on top of long sticks that ignore terrain.

Yes, it's a good idea if you can to get a bunch of the longer flying sticks to put them up higher. Some people might call BS though if you pile them up on rocks or tall base decorations! Really GW should ship boxes with uniform length flight sticks, the varied heights are a leftover from the old game.

Ecozh likes this.
  5. Phoedinn
    Razordon

I actually tried writing some rules using that a little while ago. I wish we didn't have to resort to that though.

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

"The Rules" - FAQs version 1.1, page 5

Q: Some very short models, such as Goblins, are not able to attack models on flying stands, as the distance between the two models exceeds the range of the smaller model’s weapon. Is there any way for the smaller model to attack in such a situation?

A: No – it will need to find some scenery upon which to stand in order to reach the flying model. Likewise, the flying model would be unable to attack those small models unable to reach it, should its melee weapon not have the range to do so.

7. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

These flying rules sound like a right mess.

The varied heights were often needed to create enough clearance for flying things to "rank up" in spite of the wings interfering with doing so.

(Never mind that flying creatures forming ranks is [was] a nonsense concept.)

tom ndege likes this.
  8. pendrake
    Skink Priest

What happens if flying creatures from opposing sides engage each other?

9. Killer Angel
    Slann

By RAW & FAQ, you simply check the distance between models.

10. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

11. Phoedinn
    Razordon

That's why I think of it as a left over. We don't really need to "rank up" anymore with round bases and taking measurements from individual models instead of the while unit.

By the current rules, there is a real incentive to use the tallest flight stick for flyers to keep them out of harm's way. The rules and the in-box bases don't really mesh that well.

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

We play by base-to-base, so the flight-sticks are not an issue.
    Yeah, flyiers suffer a little, but at least there are no discussions about it, and I tend to move flyiers exploiting scenery pieces, placing them on top of buildings and so on. Of course, this is can be done with single models as Dwarfs gyrocopter, and not with a rippers' squadron, but i play them with shadowstrike starhost, so when they land it's because I want them to enter melee.

Ecozh and m0gstar like this.
  13. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

Yes. I don't think that measuring models will be around in ghb2.

Flying units should be pretty straightforward from here out I'd imagine. I've always measured bases as well for sheer simplicity

14. pendrake
    Skink Priest

How does that Siggymarine unit work? <= I mean the one where the guys have wings AND ridonkulous crossbows. Looks like it is just supposed to hover and shoot.

Same question: ...but New Dwarf balloonists and Balloon Frigates.

15. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

As written, they can just hover above stuff and shoot without being able to be engaged if you modeled them that way. All just opens up the Pandora's box of modeling to your advantage which I don't think is right. You could model your carno standing totally vertical with the scar vet riding on this face while doing a stretch towards the sky holding his spear as a counter to those units

Joshmunga likes this.
  16. pendrake
    Skink Priest

:rolleyes: :smuggrin:

:hilarious:

:cigar: ...and magnetized to reconfigure for ground combat! :angelic:

m0gstar and tom ndege like this.
  17. pendrake
    Skink Priest

OK,

Seriously, if I bought one of those friggin' flyin' frigates... (I would be more likely to scratch build a Lizardman version...captured Dwarf crew and all.)

...Why couldn't I give it three alternative (sturdily engineered) base stands, with three different altitudes?

(I know where to go in a giant DIY store to buy magnets to make this possible. I just need a source of 3/8ths inch clear acrylic rod cut to length.)

It is an airship, it flies, it can land, it can move up or down as well as parallel to the ground, it can go high enough to pass over any building.

18. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

Nothing to say that you couldnt, but in AoS as written, you measure from parts of your model, so you will have to pay for the vertical movement should you decide to do that.

19. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Now that is interesting:
    So there is a building about a foot tall...
    Dwarf player has a Frigate...
    Building is in the way..&..Frigate wants to fly over...

Let's say the building is that god-awful skull-infested triangular Keep tower: Official terrain.

You are saying that the Dwarf player has to measure from the keel of his boat to the top battlement of the keep, subtract that from his movement distance and (if there is anything left) the remainder is how far the boat can move? ...if it is overflying the tower?

20. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

No the flying rule basically says that you ignore models and scenery but if you wanted to use it as a tactic to change heights to shoot while being invuln to return fire etc if imagine you'd have to pay for that movemebt even though it's vertical.

pendrake likes this.