8th Ed. Focus Of Mystery

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by twistedmagpie, Aug 14, 2013.

1. twistedmagpie
    Saurus

twistedmagpie Member

I'm new to Lizardmen and in a number of posted army lists I have noticed that the Lore of Mystery has been given to Mage Priests as well as being stated that they shall use other lores. Does this mean I can have all high magic spells & roll for spells in other schools?

2. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

No.

The Loremaster rule in the Rulebook says that wizard with the ability "knows all the spells from his chosen Lore".

Since the Focus of Mystery only gives the ability for High Magic, the Slann must choose High Magic as his Lore in order to get the benefit of Loremaster.

3. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

i'm not sure. We need a FAQ
    if you read the mazdamundi rule it says that mazda is loremaster in the lore where he picks his spells, but the focus of mastery only says "loremaster in high magic"

4. Wizgamer
    Cold One

Wizgamer New Member

But Mazda is specifically given the rule that he can choose any of the lores and be loremaster of that lore, either high magic or one of the BRB lores

5. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Exactly.

And again, the Loremaster rule says the character knows all the spells in is chosen Lore. It goes on to say that if a Lore is named in parentheses, that's the Lore that the character knows all the spells in.

There are only two reasonable ways of reading this:

1) If you have Loremaster (High Magic), the only Lore you can choose is High Magic.

2) If you have Loremaster (High Magic), you can choose another Lore if you want, but in that case the only spells you will know are 4 from that Lore.

I don't think there is any reasonable reading that would allow spells from 2 Lores.

6. twistedmagpie
    Saurus

twistedmagpie Member

Cool, I thought that would be the case. I just didn't want to miss out on a uber ability if for some reason e'd been given it.

Thanks guys.

7. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

In that case how do you play TK priest getting loremaster (death) rule? he gets it but cannont use it because is primary lore isnt death? dont think so.

8. twistedmagpie
    Saurus

twistedmagpie Member

Personally I don't know how the TK's rules are worded. Thats what it'll all depend on.

9. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

Actually its in BRB page 130 magic terrein Nehekhara Sphynx it can give you special rule loremaster (death) and says that ony mages can use that and nothing is said that he can no longer use other spells or it has to have chosen death as his primal lore.
    So i guess this wraps it slann has 12 spells unless FAQ will say other wise

10. twistedmagpie
    Saurus

twistedmagpie Member

Well it would only be 10; 6 from mastery of high magic and 4 for his rolls on another school.

11. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

high magic lore has 8 spells 8+4=12 as i recal :)

12. twistedmagpie
    Saurus

twistedmagpie Member

13. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Don't expect your opponents to agree that this is the way it works.

14. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

I tend to agree with this sentiment.

Before you roll up claiming 12 spells, be sure to read the entire BRB entry on Loremaster, then read the whole Focus of Mystery entry, and then ask yourself how the rule was meant to be played. In a tournament setting, you might have a tournament organizer who could quickly give you the house rule, but in a friendly setting, this isn't exactly a friendly move to make!

15. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

since when playing by the rules is not frendly? :D
    Do you not use regen on hydra? do you not use apsurd amount of atacks on chimera? You dont use bloodcrushers 1+ armour? :)

well for jokes i can say that regen works diferently then its said in brb but that doesnt make me right :D yes its too good but over 8 ed we had way more OP things than this and i dont understand why does this bug so many people.

Was it intendet one way or another we may only know from faq. For now we should play by the rules.
    If oponent says you dont get them then ask them about sphynx how doest it work? then you get full lore but cant use it? or do you forget your spells?

Im on the side that this is not the way it was intendet to be, and on the side that its to good. But now the rues states that it is as it is so why should we use that "regeneration"?

Offcourse if you play only casual its your choise to do what you want, but in my meta the bigger side of gamers are tournament players.

16. Wiggus
    Saurus

Wiggus New Member

Bare in mind that you are taking a specific rule set for a very specific piece of terrain and saying that because the rule works that way for that situation it must work the same for this completely different situation and that sir is why imo you are wrong. the sphinx rule does not make this right

17. Smexygor
    Chameleon Skink

Smexygor New Member

It's not meant to be played that way, and we know it. Trying to reason it through is just trying to get more out of our unit than it is allotted this time around. Sorry, I don't know anyone who is thinking straight believes a 35 point upgrade gives us 12 spells.

18. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

well who though that a banner for 50pts gives you 2+ ward save from anything thats magical? getting 12 spells for 35 isnt that broken compared to the banner.
    IT would be OP/broken if we still had extra dice on every cast.

19. Smexygor
    Chameleon Skink

Smexygor New Member

In context, their book overall improved; ours degraded. It's much more likely that, if there is a rule wiggle room for gaining 12 spells, we got the bad end of the stick. They kind of stuck it to every unit but stegs and swarms.