1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Getting back into warhammer, need help

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Sprayy, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Sprayy
    Skink

Sprayy New Member

Hey guys,

So I used to play Lizardmen a good 15 years ago. I recently moved and wouldn't you know it, theres a games workshop next to my house.

When i stopped playing my sister took my lizardmen and tried to paint them and ended up wrecking half the guys.

Anyways I managed to go through them and salvage what I could. I'm wondering if you guys could tell me how many points of an army I have in the new edition. I haven't yet gotten a new edition guide. And maybe a good 1500 point army build. Also I'm not even sure what the heck some of these units are anymore. Thanks in advance, I'd really love some insight on what I have. So here's what I have:

21 plastic Saurus's
    26 plastic skinks

I have two old slanns. One has 4 temple guard, the other I'm going to convert to a new style floating slann.
    I also bought a lizardmen skink priest.
    I have a terradon with a skink javelin guy on top.

Then I have these guys:
    6 metal skinks with spears, standard and drummer. and a skink riding a raptor
    7 temple guard including a standard and drummer
    and 4.5 metal saurus with 2 drummers

I can't figure out how to post images, but here's a link to the guys:
    http://img863.imageshack.us/g/skinks.jpg/

Thanks a lot

2. Sprayy
    Skink

Sprayy New Member

edited and removed.

3. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

You have 1200-1800 points worth of stuff but it is very difficult to make a legal list with what you have.

If the plastic skinks have short bows then this is not a major problem as GW have a rule where old models that are no longer legal can be used as new models as long as they represent a the same new model.

Another rule to remember is that you only need the majority of a unit to be armed WYSIWYG so you can bulk out units to meet minimums as long as you can make the majority WYSIWYG or obsolete as above.

You probably need more saurus as this version of the rules supports big infantry units. You can also use the spare arms in the saurus box to convert the palanquin bearers to normal Temple Guard (glue normal Saurus hand weapons together to make halberd length weapons).

Another useful purchase would be 2-4 salamanders as they are very cost effective under the new rules.

If you convert the palanquin bearers as suggested above you could probably have an army similar to:

Slann (lore of life to start out, experiment with Light and then others after you have got back into the swing)
    16 TG (all the metal saurus possibly with a plastic one too)

Skink on cold one acting as Scarvet on cold one in either TG or Saurus

Priest on foot as scroll caddy

20 Saurus

2 x 11 Skink skirmishers (short bows counting a blowpipes)

1 x 10 skirmishers with javelin and shield (metal skinks filled out with plastic skinks to make minimum) (you could also make this unit non skirmishing but it is a bit small for that)

I haven't done the detailed calculations but the above list is probably legal depending on whether you can fit the slann under the points limits. It is even vaguely competitive at club level.

4. Hiv0r
    Chameleon Skink

Hiv0r New Member

Havn't read above post wouldnt be suprised if its similar. I am not going to include magic items etc because that the sort of thing that is fun to work out yourself a bit.

Slann, Lore of Life, Battle Standard Bearer (some magic items and disciplines)
    Skink Priest - Dispel Scroll

20 Saurus - Full Command, Hand weapons + Shields
    10 Skink Skirmishers - Blowpipes
    10 Skink Skirmishers - Blowpipes

6 Chameleon Skinks (paint the other 6 skinks different)

16 Templeguard - Full Command (5 spare Saurus, 4 on the slann, 7 regular)

Salamander Hunting Pack - Extra Handler (Use the skink riding a raptor as Salamander and skink with spears as the handlers)

Working out the points - if you give your slann the standard 3 disciplines, a banner and BSB cupped hands or what ever (making him around 450 points)

You have around 1400 points by my calculations, if you managed to get your hands on a couple of unit fillers for your templeguard (6 more or so) you could tip it to 1500 and have a very nice list.

Mike B

5. Batu
    Saurus

Batu New Member

skinks that old prob have short bows. most ppl would let you use the short bows as javs or something and not have a melt down. In a tournament...maybe they would be a little more inclined to want u to have different minis.

as far as the paint. you can dip them in brake fluid. wont hurt the plastic and it will allow u to wipe off the old paint.

6. Batu
    Saurus

Batu New Member

skinks that old prob have short bows. most ppl would let you use the short bows as javs or something and not have a melt down. In a tournament...maybe they would be a little more inclined to want u to have different minis.

as far as the paint. you can dip them in brake fluid. wont hurt the plastic and it will allow u to wipe off the old paint.