8th Ed. Gor-Rok question.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by ColdBlooded, Aug 23, 2010.

1. ColdBlooded
    Jungle Swarm

ColdBlooded New Member

Long-time Lizard player and forum lurker, first post. Thanks for all of the great information!

Can someone tell me how Gor-Rok's shield works. If he is in a unit, do they count as defending a wall or is it just him? If it's just him, how does this work when he is in a unit?

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Serpentsire
    Saurus

Serpentsire New Member

I believe the shield just works for him. I had another question though: His shield counts as an obstacle, and a cannon hitting and obstacle stops, but destroys the obstacle. Does this make him immune to cannon fire but destroys his shield? Or is it that since it is a magic item he is just always immune to cannon fire?

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Actualy the wording is that he counts as defending an obsticle,
    you might want to check out the new Lizardmen FAQ, there
    are quite a few entries about him, all ruling in his favor. :)

4. ColdBlooded
    Jungle Swarm

ColdBlooded New Member

hmmm, if you mean the GW Lizardman FAQ it only has one entry about him and does not address my question specifically.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how (if this is how the rule actually works) he counts as defending an obstacle but not the rest of the unit? How do you detemine who charges him specifically? Is it any model that touches his base or is it any model that actually attacks him specifically?

I'm confused because I see that a lot of people think he is one of our best special characters but unless the entire unit counts as defending an obstacle I think he is pretty much useless. By that interpretation of the rule he would grant stubborness to a unit but lose the obstacle (for the most part) and if he was by himself he would be defending an obstacle but the stubborness would just be for him which kind of is a waste imo.

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I believe a stubron character now makes his unit stubron..?

(Huh I could have sworn it had more than on ruling on him..?)

6. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

The people I play with agree with me that since you cannot charge the unit he is in without charging the character, the entire unit is considered defending an obstacle. He also makes his unit stubborn under the 8th ed rules.

One of our only special characters worth their points, but I don't feel he is under budget either.

7. ColdBlooded
    Jungle Swarm

ColdBlooded New Member

Thanks Rolfgar, that's the way I interpret the rule as well but I just wanted to see what you guys thought. Under that interpretation, do you think defending the obstacle would still apply if you got charged in the flank or the rear?

Thanks again.

8. Gnof
    Jungle Swarm

Gnof New Member

fluff wise i would disagree with Gorrok being able to fight as defending an obstacle when charged in the flank or rear. since the rules state that when fighting with a shield, the parry save only aplies to units when fightning to the front. i guess that since gorroks shield is a shield the bonus will only aply to fights in his front?

Gnof

9. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

The hand weapon + shield parry save only applies to attacks from the front, but the +1 AS from a shield applies to any attack. I don't think the parry rule impacts this discussion at all.

But I would say that the unit only counts as defending an obstacle if Gor-Rok himself is in base contact with an ememy. So the unit would not benefit from his bonus versus a rear or flank charge (unless Gor-Rok was on the corner).

10. ColdBlooded
    Jungle Swarm

ColdBlooded New Member

I would tend to agree. Thanks for the help!

11. wolfmage
    Temple Guard

wolfmage New Member

If you get charged in the flank or rear you can use the make way rule to move him into combat so you are still defending an obstacle