8th Ed. Gor-Rok

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Zee Deveel, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Zee Deveel
    Skink

Zee Deveel New Member

If Gor-Rok is charged by a unit does that mean the whole unit must take a dangerous terrain test or just the few models that end up in direct contact with Gor-Rok himself?

2. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

At first I thought I could dismiss this question with a quick "read the rules" response, but then I read the rules. :)

It would seem that the entire unit must check.

The text says that models that complete a charge against gor-rok must check. Well, it doesn't say "only" against Gor-rok, does it? That means that all the models charging against Gor-rok's unit are charging him (as he is part of the unit) and therefor all must check.

You've just added a new character to my army. Thank you.

3. Zee Deveel
    Skink

Zee Deveel New Member

No, no.. Thank *you* ! I got confused 'cause it says "in base contact with Gor-Rok" so I wasn't sure if that meant literally touching him or part of a unit that's touching him.

I was wondering if it'd be worth sticking him with a bunch of Skinks and get up in their grill throwing javs in people's faces until they're forced to charge you. Then you stand and shoot and they lose 1/3 of their unit to a dangerous terrain test.

Probably a silly idea, but just a thought. :p

4. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

Aww crap, I didn't read far enough. My mistake. It does actually only apply to the 1-3 models that end up touching him specifically.

Sorry about that.

5. Madrck
    Temple Guard

Madrck Member

if a unit of savage orcs charges gor'rok, and miraculously 3 end up in base contact and then more miraculously all 3 fail the test and die does that mean the other units that "move up" also need to take dangerous terrain tests until somebody curses the dice gods as he just rolled 40 1's and 2's?

6. sorrowquin
    Cold One

sorrowquin New Member

Models that end their charge in BASE TO BASE CONTACT have to test.

So its always 1-3 models, nothing more!
    Not that great against basic infantry but it can be neat against elite Knights and the like because thier armor doesn't help them and they usually are low in numbers.

Besides, how rediculously overpowered would it be if the whole unit had to test and dies on a 1-2???
    Can't believe people actually would take this as a rule...

7. Madrck
    Temple Guard

Madrck Member

Whilst I know it's ridiculous and not the way it's intended or even remotely in the spirit of the game, it was brought up somewhere and RAW "In addition, any enemy model that makes a successful charge against Gor-Rok and ends the movement phase in base contact with him must test"
    If you fail a dangerous terrain test the model is removed, it's not a casualty removed from the back rank of the unit, and therefore another unit is forced to "move" into base contact with Gor-Rok triggering the shield of aeons again.

8. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

I'd say "the movement" is rather specific.

Once the charge is over - we test for dangerous terrain, the model being moved into contact, has already charged, that move is over, he is being moved after the sequence the shield asks for is finished.

9. sorrowquin
    Cold One

sorrowquin New Member

That's a wild interpretation and not RAW at all. Your charge move ends when moving into contact with the unit. The dangerous terrain checks happen afterwards. Saying models moving up was part of the charge move is like saying characters making way to reach Gor-Rock would have to test. They don't. This happens after the charge move.

10. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

Yeah, it's just the 1-3 guys. I think the explanations here are right.

It would be neat to have him (and his unit) take the charge of a Cauldron of Blood or other "chariot" and have it take D6 wounds on the failed DT... :)

11. sorrowquin
    Cold One

sorrowquin New Member

That is actually a very good example where Gor-Roks special rule is very useful!

Or, as I mentioned earlier, against a unit of Elite Knights and the like.

12. Noveltyboy
    Skink

Noveltyboy New Member

Even better if hes in a position to be hit by 2 tomb king chariots or any chariot really