7th Ed. Great Weapon and Enchanted Shield

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by skinker, Mar 23, 2010.

1. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

If I'm using the great weapon, does the enchanted shield still confer the +2 to armor save? A normal shield would not, of course, but maybe enchanted would since its a magical effect?

If I'm using hand weapon and enchanted shield in close combat, do I get +3 to armor save? Normal shield is +2, so I'd assume enchanted is +3?

2. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

The great weapon requires two hands so you cannot use a shield, magical or otherwise with it.

The Enchanted Shield does not provide a hand weapon shield bonus, magical items do not.

3. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

I'm not so sure that the "enchanted shield" is considered a shield though. In its description it says "Armour" whereas the "maiming shield" and "shield of the mirrored pool" both say "shield" in their description. Therefore, since enchanted shield is just armor, I believe it is automatically worn and confers the +2 bonus without needing to be held in one's hand.

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yea you can equip a character like this,
    he will get the shields protection against shooting,
    in combat you can either use the great weapon OR a Hand weapon and the shield.
    and a magic shield does indeed count as a shield.

ps. by your logic you wouldn't be able to wear light Armor with an enchanted shield..?

5. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

Hey I'm just reading it out of the book. Why would it classify the enchanted shield as "armor" and the other shields are classified as "shields" To me, it sounds like I can just wear the enchanted shield and still get the bonus (which is one better than light armor for only 10 points more). I could also then bring a different shield that is actually classified as a "shield"

6. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

n810 is correct on this one. You can lawyer it all you want, but in any tourney you play the list reviewers and refs will count it as a shield guaranteed. In local games if you press the issue it will come to 4+ as I don't think anyone who has some experience with the game would agree to that, as nice as it would be to have it work that way.

7. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

Not sure how you can interpret it any other way than how its presented in the book. Unless there's an errata or faq that corrects this somewhere, I gotta read it as armor since that's what it says it is! And I'm not lawyering... If anything, it takes lawyering to convince someone that the item should be classified as a shield even though the book says it is not!

8. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

I'd say since it's listed as a 'shield' in 'Enchanted Shield' I'd count it as a 'shield' in all respects. Saying that it's 'armour' when it says 'shield' in it's description (the name) seems like stretching the limit. And if you engaged in any tournament or played against anyone whom has played Warhammer for anything longer than a few months would likely throw a wedge of gouda in your general direction for pressing the issue. haha!

9. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

The item is call Enchanted Shield for a reason. It is not a plate of armour worn or some other magical breastplate. It is a shield. Thus when using a great weapon you cannot use it. Period.

10. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

Until they change it to say its a shield (like they do with other magical shields) then it is armor. It says it is armor, therefore it is armor. Not sure how that can be any clearer. Naturally, it makes sense that it should be a shield, but I'm a stickler for rules as it takes the guesswork out trying to determine what the game makers "meant to say." This is how my group plays it anyway.

11. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

ahh the young, it is allways fun to dismantle their theories. ok, here we go:

the enchanted shield is part of the common magic items pool and its rules are clearly specified in the BRB. the army book just mentiones them so you don't have to buy a rulebook if your gaming group allready has one. in this case the BRB takes precedent and the army book does not deny it.
    in the BRB [p. 122] the enchanted shield is clearly classified as a shield in both name, description and example. trying to use it as magical armor is worse than rules lawyering, its an exploit. much like the skaven multiple-use storm banner[tough the fact that it took the slot of 1 out of 3 magic banners in the army and increased chance to end 33%->50% was a solid argument for multiple-use]. this is a classical case of "spears cost 1 point so i can have 30 saurus and pay only 1 point for spears not 30 OLOLOLOL I'M SO KEWL AND 1337 !!!!!!ONEHUNDRETANDELEVEN!"
    sorry for the last part, wasn't ment to be an insult

12. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

hmmm hard to argue w/ bibamus on that one :rage:

13. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

Yep, I think that solves it. The proof in the main army book kind of trumps anything you can say.

14. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

Yep, that's all I was asking for... a clear cut definition of it actually being a shield and bibamus provided what none of you others could :p Had it not been defined so clearly in the BRB, my interpretation would still stand!