1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: Combat phase in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

IDK, at those prices, you'd think New Zealand would be a primary destination!

2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

New gitz & an update to BoC
    Seems like the wolfriders are finally returning properly, and not just as an underworld warband. Though still only one unit.

3. Phobos
    Skink

Phobos Member

No new dice for the beast and for the greenskin...I hope these will be not a new trend. I need some new lizard/seraphon dice:rolleyes:

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

5. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Very, very much... You beat me to it ;)

Grrr, !mrahil

6. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Please be good models. Please be good models. Please be good models. And, please don't be too expensi... LIGHTING STRIKE!!! Okay, never mind.

7. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Seriously. This is exciting. I hope GW at least reveals the models teased in the recent video. I'm expecting a new Slann and new Saurus (with only one weapon choice). GW might reveal the new mounted model, too. Either way, going forward, I expect the Start Collecting: Seraphon to either disappear or get more $$ b/c it's too good of a deal for a Carnosaur (which will hopefully get better stats/rules).

8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Only one weapon choice for Saurus would be a kick in the teeth for us Warhammer Fantasy fans who like to have both club and spear options. I doubt they'd do something so short-sighted given that surely they're preparing for The Old World as well.

Inevitably it will be replaced with a far-too-expensive Vanguard with just one additional unit or something for a £30+ price increase.

NIGHTBRINGER and Just A Skink like this.
  9. Phobos
    Skink

Phobos Member

I hope in a new Saurus, a new skink cavallery, new slann, new kroxigor and no more, but in true in true I told you... I pray for many more models:D

10. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

GW may not. But they did it with skeletons for Soulblight, recently (I cherry-pick that one simply b/c one of friends plays them).

Indeed.

I don't know, maybe we'll get new warriors AND new Knights? The Scar-vet on Cold One disappeared from the site recently. Then I could see us getting a new box similar to StD, with new warriors, knights, & a hero.

ChapterAquila92 and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Even though Lizardmen have moved down my list of priorities (after CD, TK and WoC), I'm genuinely excited to see what GW comes up with. Not too long to wait now.

12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The skeletons still have mixed weapons on the sculpts. It just counts as 1 weapon rule-wise now.
    Still allows for interesting sculpts, but simplifies the rules, and removes the awkward issue AoS has were it became a false choice as one option is basicly always better.

Just A Skink likes this.
  13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's assuming that they are able to be ranked up in the first place. From what I've heard (I haven't tried it myself), the new Chaos Warriors don't really rank up on 25mmx25mm bases. If the Saurus Warriors follow suit with large dynamic poses, then single versus multiple WFB weapon options are a moot point anyways.

Just A Skink likes this.
  14. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

I hear you, but it still makes the different weapons all "the same," which I feel is a bit dull. I think the issue is only awkward because of more current AoS rules, with a greater reliance on rend and/or mortal wounds. It's emphasized by the very current rules of allowing models to attack that are just close to each other. Before that, I think good decisions could be made where Saurus with spears or Saurus with hand weapons had advantages.

More to your point, if GW does that with Saurus, it will simplify the unit. Depending on personal taste, mono-pose models often look more dynamic and interesting.

15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Some hobbyists over on EEFL have managed to succeed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One featuring the new Chosen:
    [​IMG]

https://eefl.freeforums.net/thread/3163/ranking-start-collecting-chaos-warriors

In general I think posing them diagonally makes maximum use of the base, and as long as you turn their heads to face forwards, they will look fine.

16. Phobos
    Skink

Phobos Member

But on square base the warriors and the choosen lost a lot of the details, but you can see them if they stay in round base:oops:

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

So... possible.

I guess the next question becomes is the juice worth the squeeze? Lots of work, and they don't particularly look that great squashed in together. In fairness though, I can say the same for several WFB units. Infernal Guard are a nightmare to rank on their 20mm bases.

Yeah, they definitely lose a lot.

18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

GW did state they have plans for supporting models for both AoS and old world, so that might be an outcome for WFB as well.

Honestly, I most single load-out choices in AoS have sucked. The majority of "choices" fall in one of three flavours
    • The Liberators hammers v.s. sword choice. Do you want a 1/3+/4+/-/1 or a 1/4+/3+/-/1. Completly irrelevant outside of niche scenarios where interactions with (de)buffs might favour one.
    • The range choice of spear v.s. sword. Which simply boils down to "is this unit a horde, or is it a MSU?"
    • Choose between a bad and good option. E.g. weapon A for this hero has great synergy with the best artifact in the game, weapon B does not. So pick weapon A.
    It's been increadibly rare to see real choices in AoS in terms of loadouts.

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I guess we'll see. It might be difficult with the scale creep of AoS. Unless of course they increase the base sizes for TOW, in which case it wouldn't be that useful for WHFB.

I suppose we'll know soon enough.

It was quite a bit more common in WHFB. I can think of several examples, such as Chaos Warriors, where hand weapon + shield, additional hand weapon, halberds and great weapons saw play.

20. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

goodbye salary, it was good to have you.