1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: magic and prayers in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

That's why you should disseminate your work to as many gamers as possible for them to playtest and review and collate their views together. I'll have to see if I can rope any more EEFL'ers into reviewing mine...

2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Difficult thing with homebrew, and even more difficult to get a varied set of testers :p but good luck

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Fantasy forums are the place to start - I've got some of my work up here on Lustria and on EEFL. Should join some more army-specific forums.

Canas likes this.
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Well, we were talking abot WHFB, and you cannot deny the charme of dogs of war.
    It's perfectly fine to be a fan of 8th, but if there will be a chance to play tichi raiders, now i can.

Regarding the new warriors i agree that the shields definitely don't meet my tastes

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Perfectly reasonable... but you know I'm an 8th ed. die hard. The other issue is, if I remember correctly, is that the Tichi Riders weren't that strong of a unit to begin with.

You're right, I cannot deny the charm of the dogs of war. They were a neat concept which I would have liked to have seen carried over into 8th.

Killer Angel likes this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

I don’t recall that too... but i fear you're right. :p

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  7. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

Put it another way, if you have friends to play with who are happy to play against a single custom unit you have tried to make balanced, in order to use some sweet new minis.... I don't think the dozen games you *might* play with those rules really have balance as an issue as much as an official ruleset that tens of thousands of people will be playing :p And even then WFB had its share of shonky balance issues I'm sure.

I find the older I get (and the fewer wargames I get to play) the more I am happy to just say f-it and make rulings almost like a DM during friendlies (if my opponent is of the same mind) instead of slavishly adhering to a rule system.

8. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

I really like the new skink cavalry. I'm might get 10 or 15, convert 5 or 10 of them to have long spears and use them as "counts as" saurus cavalry or Tichi Huichi's Raiders for 6th edition games. I wanna like the new Slann but there's something about it's proportions that bothers me as well as the ostentatious palanquin.It definitely looks like it will be a pain to put on a 50 mm base if I ever want a 3rd Slaan for my collection or even just get the palanquin for my forgeworld Slann. I like the new saurus warriors even though I think their new proportions will make my 6th edition Oldblood look tiny and will make my side army of 5th edition lizardmen look like pipsqueaks.

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I suspect that you are correct. Looking at the sculpts, those tails ending off in such and elevated position will likely interfere with the models in the subsequent rank.

10. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

I find myself going through the Seraphon reveals time in time again. And noticed something about the palaquin of the Slann.

New Slann.png

These parts of it are both in two options as well.

22-06-14 SO.jpg

Nice to see some extra kitbash material :)
    Not to forget about the double Skink option. I wonder if the Skink attendant is a must have, rule wise.

Grrr, !mrahil

11. Phobos
    Skink

Phobos Member

I also go back to look at the new seraphons and i noticed that even the stones near the tree are different, as well as two different toads depending on which skink you use... this slann is a real gem

12. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Exactly! can't wait for it to arrive ;)

Grrr, !mrahil

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Ah, good catch!

Imrahil likes this.
  14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Yeah, it's an absolutly amazing improvement over the old slann in terms of diversity & details.

15. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

I wish GW would have kept the Slann on a 50mm or 60mm base. It looks up to 80mm, like Kroak. I assume it will be higher points and possibly 10+ wounds that will take the Slann out of the "foot hero" role.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  16. Phobos
    Skink

Phobos Member

[​IMG] meanwhile in internet..

17. Killer Angel
    Slann

That sucks because it basically "forces" you to buy the new model.
    Not that we're not going to do it anyway, but still it's the usual GW's behavior.

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

This is how I'd rate the new Lizardmen/Seraphon in terms of best to worst...
    1. Saurus Warriors - a beautiful and much needed update. A huge improvement. Easily the best of what they've shown of the new Lizardmen.
    2. Palanquin of the Slann - might be tempting if it could be ranked up inside a WHFB Temple Guard unit. I'd stick my Forge World Slann on it!
    3. Raptadons - decent sculpts but not particularly my cup of tea.
    4. Slann - a huge step back from the current sculpt. It looks strange.
    Why would that force you to buy the new model? Couldn't you just stick the old model on a larger base?

19. Killer Angel
    Slann

Yes, and that's how i usually do such things.
    For example, my cold ones are on square bases but i put them over round ones when i play AoS.
    But a new upgraded model not only got a larger base, but it's bigger and it has a different LoS. It sees more things but it's harder to hide it behind sceneries.
    When i play old kroak on the actual base, some people complained about it, and it was not even a tournament.

Just A Skink and Imrahil like this.
  20. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh, if it means Slann (and kroak) get proper profiles that are capable of anything other than simply sitting in a corner with board-wide spells & the guard are no longer a glorified upgrade but a proper unit in their own right I'd be happy.

Killer Angel and ChapterAquila92 like this.