1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: magic and prayers in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

They are an improvement compared to the old ones, but they could have been better I guess.
    I think the Warspawn look 'better' (beefier overall) then the standard Kroxigor

Grrr, !mrahil

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  2. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

Great news everyone, the online store no longer has Start Collecting! boxes of any of the two kinds, nor warriors, knights, salamanders, razordons. Maybe they will appears again before the actual refresh, but if you have a Start Collecting! Skinks you still want to grab on a store near to you, do it now!

Imrahil likes this.
  3. Imrahil
    Slann

They have not mentioned anything about these replacing Saurus Knights, what they did say was: now you have seen all the new models for Seraphon (or something along those lines)
    So no updated Suarus Knights yet

Grrr, !mrahil

4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

O come on, the undead are already swimming in heroes. They really don't need more. Plus, their ranges are already quite large.

They're fine. They look a bit more intelligent compared to their previous incarnations, which is a bit odd. But other than that no complaints.

I suspect the knights are replaced by a combination of the skink cavalry & the aggradons.
    It was already weird that we were getting those skink cavalry, given that we already have terradons, rippers & knights, and they'd all be fighting for the same spot. With aggradons there's definitly no more place for the knights.

As an aside. Kinda weird we're not seeing updated saurus warriors. They're looking rather puny now compared to everything except our basic skinks.

5. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Woogity's krox look beefy. Like a body builder.

Newkrox look built, like a power lifter.

That's another reason why my flesh eaters are staying in the box until we get a new tome.

6. pikapoka
    Skink

pikapoka Member

I am really not a fan of these new sculps.
    I don't like how they have designed the models with two tiny little eyes right next to the snout, especially on the cold ones. Just looks so derpy.

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Well, where do I start? Certainly a lot of good stuff previewed this time round, and some not so good.

Another pointless Primarch resurrection for 40K to rake in more cash and continue their 'Mine's bigger' arm's race. I didn't know the Dark Angels Primarch looked like Charles Dance, but otherwise I'm not interested in the least.

I certainly hope these aren't the direct replacement for Saurus Cavalry and are an alternative Monstrous Cavalry unit - far too big to use them as the former in either Warhammer Fantasy or AoS. I can see AoS players being annoyed that they're not going to be able to use their painstakingly-painted Saurus Cav in the current edition now.

If they are replacements, I'm really not happy that they turned them back into generic velociraptors like the Dark Elf ones rather than continue with the unique beasts the 7th Edition kit created. That was the thing I was most dreading.

I hope GW considers bringing the older models back for TOW, regardless of what others may think of them, as they are much more suitable for Warhammer Fantasy use and fit with Warhammer Fantasy lore.

Funnily enough I don't like the heads for the generic Kroxigors - they look non-threatening and too much like the Stormcast Dragons as others have said - but like a lot of people I do like the crocodile heads for the Warspawned. I'll certainly be picking up some of those, providing GW don't keep them at the same cost as the old Finecast ones.

The Woogity Krox are certainly solid, but I personally prefer the GW ones with the Warspawned heads, especially as those will be more readily available.

If I were to give all Krox sets a ranking, it would be as follows:
    1. New GW Warspawned Krox
    2. Woogity Krox
    3. Old 7th Edition metal/Finecast Krox
    4. New GW standard Krox
    5. Very old 5th-6th Edition metal Krox

Now this is most interesting, I never would have thought GW would try and bring 40K Beastmen back. Those are all sorts of noice.

In particular the fact that they don't have much in the way of sci-fi on them means I could certainly have a go in kitbashing them into Gors for my Fantasy Beastman army. I'm looking forward to picking up these at one point hopefully.

And the support for Votann is also nice - good to see the new Squats getting a much-needed additional unit.

Ugh, these bring back bad recollections of the neo-Russian Warriors of Dale from the Hobbit - as much as I love those films, the Lake Towners were easily the weakest part of it. Though to be fair this may be in part due to the red-and-orange colour scheme GW concocted for both:
    [​IMG]

Another underwhelming Ossiarch character following the aesthetic I'm not keen on (rather than the superior neo-Necron Mortisan Soulreaper and Kainan), and another horrid Vampire model. Pass and pass.

Though this is most interesting indeed.

I'm gutted for the Flesh Eater Court players not getting a Battletome when they should have done - perhaps this means that army is being folded back into Vampires, from whence it originally came? In which case they have even more sympathy from me at losing their faction's independence.

However, two new AoS factions in Summer and Autumn is exciting - I wonder what they will be? I suppose one will be Malekith Elves (eye-wateringly boring), and I hope one of them will be Chaos Dwarfs.

Not enough Tyranids killing Primaris Marines, but otherwise an interesting trailer.

Looks like the old 2nd Edition Carnifex is coming back, though hopefully as a model that should look significantly less ugly.

I'm most looking forward to seeing what those new floating Tyranid creatures that appear later in the trailer are capable of, and what their function is in the Hive Fleet. There were talks that these were meant to be Norn Queens or something, so it'll be good to see those get a model at last.

I don't think it was necessary to make another kit for Terminators, the current one is fine, though I suppose GW wants to Primaris-ify them or something. At least they're giving some Firstborn units some time in the sun at last.

But these new Termagants are very nice indeed! Great to see that they follow the aesthetic of the old models and will be compatible, I just hope the price increase won't be too much...

Well, 40K's now been AoS-ified, it's official. I'm not bothered, mind, as I still play good old 5th and 6th Edition!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  8. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

I'm honestly kind of perplexed that they still went with the massive two-handed weapons rather than paired weapons that are both chained to them and don't immediately put them at risk of hitting their own heads. LOL

9. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Both termies ('nators and 'gaunts) look good, but that datasheet example leaves a lot to be desired. Pulling Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Strength, and Attacks from the base unit's characteristics and instead hard-baking them into weapon profiles? I can't wait to see how badly they'll bork this up again.

The only good thing I can say about it is that they didn't oversimplify it to AoS levels, but that's hardly an endorsement when AoS isn't anywhere near as concerned as 40k is in equipment loadouts.

10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Like others I'm also concerned by the lack of new Razordons - that would be a real step back if GW ditched those.

Just A Skink likes this.
  11. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

@Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl

Yes, those new terminators are upscaled. It's another excuse to print money kind of like the lion.

12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

GW when people got excited at those new Terminators and the plastic Lion:

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

If the memes are anything to go by (and they are), the Lion reveal is quite the success. It seems to be generating excitement.

Those old models are the worst in the range. Even if GW doesn't bring them back, Ebay is usually flooded with them. They're also pretty cheap too (significantly under retail).

Good luck with that! You know they will cost more.

They certainly are more readily available. I can't argue with you on that point.

We agree on something! :woot:

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Meh, as you know I like long jaws on my predatory Lizardmen so I'd still go for the crocodile heads on the GW ones, but a good model nonetheless.

I wonder if @woogity is back in action in the sculpting department, or if it's a creation of a disciple of his?

Just A Skink and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I like the dino head. I also like the beefy appearance of this model. It looks like it would tear GW's iteration to shreds.

I thought (via nothing more than rumour, gossip and hearsay) that he was working over at Creative Assembly.

If he was responsible for this model, it would make no sense for him not to also sell his original three. I think somebody else was HEAVILY inspired by his sculpts and came up with this.

17. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Again, GW went for power lifter vs body builder

I would also prefer body builders like woogity.

Just A Skink likes this.
  18. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Yes, these Krox are from Raven Twin who seems to "swipe" popular/cool looks for Lizard models.

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Good call... you're correct. And he has more sculpts...

[​IMG]

20. Imrahil
    Slann

I am on @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl 's side with this one, I like the long jaws better than these. These have more of a snake's head then a Crocodile, what Kroxigor obviously suppose to represent.

These Raventwin versions do have a better, beefier lower body that the GW ones seem to lack.

Grrr, !mrahil