1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: Combat phase in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

That axe hand was the thing that was drawing me to Orks/Orcs, because of the green colour and the chunkiness of it. To be fair, Orks don’t maintain their gear either :D (and Destruction was mentioned at the end of the trailer along with death).
    I hope it isn’t Frankenstein’s monsters, that looked stupid enough in a Warhammer setting with that pointless ‘Halloweenies’ Blood Bowl team that should have been Tomb Kings. To have an entire faction based around that would be gods-awful.

I can see why you think Death because I can see bones there too, but I can’t think what the model will look like. I’m just not hoping it’s the goofy Frankenstein’s monster idea.
    That’s a shame. I can see why GW are giving them a couple more character models because they have so few non-character heroes, but to do so soon after they have been released is just unnecessary, given there are many other armies that need attention.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Imrahil likes this.
  2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

It's too dark a green for orks. Also GW tends to make their nails a bit cleaner, or just makes them a different shade of green.

And most importantly, while orks don't maintain their equipment they usually don't have holes in it either. Usually Ork weapons are big slabs of solid metal.

That combined makes me go for undead.

Well it's just the skin that makes me think of frankenstein, it's a fairly commonly used tone for those kinda undead. As for proper frankenstein patchwork monsters, it can work without going for halloween nonsense. World of Warcraft for example has a reasonable amount of patchwork monsters that aren't too far off from warhammer's style and that aren't pure goofy nonsense either. If you go into that direction it could work well.

GW seems to be rather obsessed with aelves for the coming year. Honestly it kinda surprises me we haven't seen any new Idoneth, or even CoS elven models.

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

GW certainly won’t give Cities of Sigmar new models, that’s pretty much for certain - that’s purely an army for those who want to carry on playing some form of Empire/Dwarfs/High Elves/Wood Elves/Dark Elves because GW were too lazy to try and reinterpret them for AoS with their own factions. Certainly it’s very unlikely GW will give them anything.

Idoneth, as cool as they are, have a nice variety of units and unnamed characters already, and have had a rules update recently in Broken Realms: Morathi. However, an extra character and an extra unit or two would help to flesh them out more as a faction and wouldn’t go amiss.

Not another Elf year... they’ve been doing stuff for Elves since 2018, couldn’t we be given a break from them? Dwarfs haven’t had anything since Kharadron came out on 2017, why couldn’t we have another Dwarf faction and/or a second wave for Fyreslayers, and then if GW really want to give Elves more love they can release Malekith’s Boyz next year?

4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

It's a shame though, we desperatly need a "normal" faction. Something that isn't filled with superpowered magical demi-gods or fantastical creatures.

If nothing else, just throwing in a minor named hero. Like Neave Blacktalon. They're minor enough that they're unlikely to have any real impact on the game & tournament scene. But it's a nice way to keep a faction alive and throw fans a bone.

Meh, KO seem to be in a decent spot both in power & just available models (makes a nice fullfledged army with all the basic roles filled). Also, they got a new model last year in the aetherwar box :p
    Anyway not sure what you could add there without it clashing with existing models.

Fyreslayers could definitly use a second wave. Maybe they'd no longer be such a one-note faction. But unfortunatly due to them being basicly just the slayer's cult it's also difficult to imagine something that'd actually be a good addition, instead of just more of the same. Plus, if it's too different it won't fit in. So can't say I get excited for those.

And although I'd rather not see yet another faction added to begin with (we already got so many) , I also can't really think of any dwarf archetype to base a new faction around.

So not quite sure how to give the dwarves some love in an exciting way :p

5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Well, Cities does have fantastical creatures (Dragons and Griffins anyone?), and to be honest the Empire models just don’t fit with the new Sigmarite aesthetic because they’ve got the old motifs of comets and skulls everywhere rather than the new hammers and lightning bolts that the Sigmarines have. I think GW should just scrap Empire and replace it with a new human faction, and work on fitting Dispossessed, Dark Elves, High Elves and Wood Elves into AoS somehow.

Perhaps they are actually making a new human faction and the upcoming Vampire Hunter/Witch Hunter model may have something to do with it?

Speak for yourself, I’ve had plenty of ideas that I’ve mentioned before in various threads, and I think they’re great. In fact I’m going to write unofficial warscrolls for them until GW see them and copy the ideas, because I can do that much to further the cause of one of my favourite factions.

When trawling Lexicanum I found a page of ‘hinted factions’ that holds possible leads to new AoS factions, and one in particular caught my eye: the Sons/Daughters of Valaya:
    Valaya was the third Dwarf deity in Warhammer Fantasy, and she was allegedly killed by Skelepope during the End Times. Grimnir is represented by the Fyreslayers and Grungni is represented by the Kharadron, so for a third faction Valaya would be the way to go for a basis - whether as a ‘lost god’ like Grimnir or as a goddess brought back from Nagash’s clutches somehow with the help of her brother Grungni.

Now, how GW would actually go about this is uncertain (they could have used Dispossessed for this if it wasn’t for their stupid, stupid, STUPID idea of merging them into Cities of Sigmar with Empire and Dark Elves), but there is premise there.

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Their focus is still less on the fantastical. Their generals get a fancy mount, but virtually everyone is a relativly "normal" mortal. Even those mounts are relativly mundane compared to others. There's less magical abilities, less artifacts, less weird stuff like our faction which has dinosaurs riding on top of other dinosaurs while operating a laser. It remains a fantasy faction so of course there's the occasional wizard or fancy mount, but it's the most mundane of all factions.

Honestly, they could just allow the old models to remain legal, and even sell them while they stay profitable. Just start introducing more modern sculpts of the same stuff. They're supposed to be a mismatched militia of various cities anyway. So not having a uniform look fits perfectly fine. Just say this particular knight is fighting in old heirloom armour, while the next has more modern armour. Doesn't need to be a fully new faction, just slowly phase them out of production while allowing them to stay game legal. Old players can use their collections, it fits with the fluff, and the faction gets a much needed makeover.

Honestly, I'd doubt it. They haven't made a single new "normal" mortal since AoS started. I'd be very surprised if another faction pops up.
    Plus, they've kinda written themselves into a corner, since every modern human city basicly belongs to CoS according to the fluff. All the old ones were either razed or corrupted by chaos. And it's not like the idoneth where you could say they're hiding in the sea, or the Lumineth who have an entire realm to their own. It'd be rather difficult to fit in and explain why we haven't seen them yet.

I am speaking for myself :p
    And I know, most of the ideas I've seen you mention just don't really do anything for me. They're not even terrible ideas on their own. But the fyreslayers are just so terribly one-note that most of the new stuff is either just more of the same stuff (which isn't interesting), or seems to be a massive departure from the established core (which is jarring). Neither of which are exactly things I would get excited for :p

What's the promise though? Aside from "this is their goddes".
    What are their cultural values, warstyle etc. and most importantly, how does that significantly differ from the fyreslayers, dispossed & KO?

7. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

I just LOVE Gluto's palanquin. Basically a perfect Slaaneshi Warshrine. Also really like the fact that it still partially looks like the persians from 300, and that at last we have another morbid obese character outside Nurgle and Skaven.

8. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

@NIGHTBRINGER @Canas @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl

Sorry guys, I think GW heard me :muted::muted::facepalm:

U3Qo43zRkTeHEcF9.jpg

On the other hand:

KeLm36x2smVgJs4Y.jpg

Somehow I don't dislike the SCE model. The face is done very well on this one ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

J8raXsW.jpg

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

11. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

LizardWizard and Imrahil like this.
  12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

[​IMG]

Couldn’t resist :D

In all seriousness, it’s only a single model, I’m not bothered by it (except for the head of the poor old Minotaur who had to die to make the miniature :()

I’m most surprised and pleased that they’re releasing a Necron model as the 40K celebration model rather than a Primaris Marine, that Cryptek looks great!

As to whether I’d be able to visit my local GW in time to get him I don’t know, what with the UK entering another lockdown for the rest of Winter and possibly early Spring...

NIGHTBRINGER and Imrahil like this.
  13. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

hahaha :hilarious::hilarious:

me too, fresh start of the year ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Well they are long overdue a new model, it's been over a year :p

15. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

16. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

[​IMG]

we got a herald, so I guess we'l get to see something soon.

17. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Well, that's some insteresting news.

LizardWizard, Imrahil and Canas like this.
  18. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

isn't this just a prelude to the underworlds band?

19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Could be, but then at least we know that that one is finally actually being released.

Though since it mentions a starseer, Cellenar & Shyish I'm not entirely certain it would be underworlds. Those remarks might hint at something else.

20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Yeah, this is just for the Underworlds Warband. The Starseer reference is for the Priest who’s part of the Warband, because I’m sure one of the AoS names for Skink Priests is Starseers.