1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: Combat phase in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

This came to mind from a recent YouTube episode of Warhammer Weekly:
    upload_2021-2-15_11-44-46.png

In a poll consisting of hundreds of respondents, Fyreslayers were the least played army (outside of Azgorh who aren't a mainline army and are much more expensive... and now discontinued).

I'm not saying that Fyreslayers will get axed, but if someone was going to get the axe it would likely be them. More realistically, I could see them being absorbed into a larger and more diverse Dwarf army in the future. But who knows?

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

That sucks big-time. Even Sons of Behemat are more played and they have even less variety (not to mention that they bring the Imperial Knights problem into AoS).

I'm especially surprised Cities of Sigmar are so popular, GW handled its release in the worst possible way in my opinion (turning it into an Empire and Dark Elf alliance is all kinds of stupid)

Come on GW, give the Sons of Grimnir a new model, it's about time we had one :mad:

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I think the worst part of the poll results is that the Sigmarines sit in the top spot (which I guess is to be expected).

Nighthaunt fared extremely well.

I think the Sons of Behemat benefit from having that big model cool factor. An army of centerpiece models (expensive as hell, but nice).

And how did those ugly Ossiarch Bonereapers beat out the Kharadron Overlords? (although only marginally and not statistically significant, but even being on par is an insult)

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Sigmarines as you say, are obviously going to be high because of GW loving them to death (or reforging), and I’d also say it’s obvious Nighthaunt are going to be played a lot because they’re the faction opposing the Sigmarines in the starter sets.

The Mega Giant models are cool, I agree with that, but I’d have thought their extreme expense plus the lack of variety of profiles would have done for them in terms of popularity. But Sons of Behemat have been out for less than a year, so their gameplay experience is still a novelty, compared to Fyreslayers who have existed for around four years now, and their most recent Battletome has been around for coming up to two years. Also the fact that any army can take one of the Mega Giants is another plus for them. Only time will tell.

Ossiarch, from what I’ve heard seem pretty easy to play, and have resilience, combat power and magical ability on their side, while I’d say Kharadron can be hard due to the fact they simply can’t allow themselves to be caught in melee, have little armour and have very little to deal with magic. I agree with you in that Kharadron by right should be higher due to cooler models (and Fyreslayers should be for that matter), but gameplay performance is certainly a big factor in army choice (though this doesn’t seem to affect Fyreslayers because though they’ve fared highly in the Metawatch lists they’re at the bottom of this list).

Also much of the ugliness of Ossiarch can be mitigated with head swaps because the worst point about them is their Joker faces (I’ve certainly seen people replace those with Tomb Guard and Vampire Count Skeleton heads, and personally I think using Necron heads would be a massive improvement). Some other aspects like the crotch guy on the Harvester are much more difficult to fix, but a skilled converter could do something with it I think.

ChapterAquila92 and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

To be fair, they were still one of the least popular armies according to the poll.

That's a good point.

Personally I like the models too.

Kharadron have little armour?! (remember I don't play AoS, so I have no clue) That is really surprising as they seemed to be encased in armour and furthermore, Dwarfs are typically known for it.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Another Underworld reveal. Not my cup of tea, but for those that may be interested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

This was unexpected: an OBR Warband.

I don't see any resemblance of the icon with the faction as a whole: they based it on the helmet alone.

Now the final warband will be either of a Teclis race: maybe it's Lumineth, maybe Idoneth.

8. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

I can only read this sarcastically... to me it definitely and directly looked like OBR. I do not own any OBR units nor do I own the battletome, but through the power of association it sad OBR ;)

This will most definitely be Idoneth Deepkin, both of the emblem being curly as water and the fact that the Direchasm starter set already contains the Lumineth Warband.

Grrr, Imrahil

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

How does this Warhammer Underworlds game work? What I mean is, how separate are the iterations of the game (Shadspire, Beastgrave, Direchasm, etc.)? Are they just updates to the same game, separate games or interlinked somehow? Can warbands from previous versions play in the later iterations (i.e. a Beastgrave warband in Direchasm) or vice versa?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

No it wasn’t, I’m sure I told you before that that Warband was going to be Ossiarch, and that icon can be seen everywhere, on the shields of the Mortek Guard and the standards of all the units.

And as @Imrahil says the other Elf Warband must be Idoneth, they have used that rose emblem before and Lumineth already have a Warband in the starter set for this season.

Just had a look at the new Kharadron Warscrolls, and they seem to have OK armour (4+ armour saves) but they’re definitely not as durable as Fantasy Dwarfs are, partly because so many weapons reduce armour saves in AoS and partly because a lot of units inflict mortal wounds (think automatic wounds with no armour saves allowed).

This is one of the ways in which the Kharadron and Fyreslayers are opposites of each other - Kharadron are usually fast but lacking in durability while Fyreslayers are slow but are extremely resilient thanks to good Ward saves (which are more important in AoS than even in Fantasy because they’re your only defence against mortal wounds) and two wounds each for even the basic infantry.

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Anybody?

:(

12. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Sorry I can't help that much.
    I have no experience in playing the game, though I have one warband.

It looks like they are different seasons of the same game and are therefore interlinked.
    Seeing that some Warbands of Beastgrave or even some Shadespire are still sold at GW's I think that they are.

Grrr, Imrahil

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Yep, as @Imrahil says, they are consecutive seasons of the same game. Sorry I haven’t answered this sooner, I didn’t see your original post until now :oops:

Certainly Beastgrave Warbands are still playable in Direchasm (which is why GW’s still selling them) and I’m assuming Shadespire and Nightvault Warbands are also playable too, though they may not be so competitive now given they are from the first two seasons.

NIGHTBRINGER and Imrahil like this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Thanks guys! :)

I was just curious. They release so many great models for that game, I was just wondering how it worked.

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

And some Underworlds stuff, the last two from the Hedkrakka's Madmob warband:

upload_2021-2-20_10-20-21.png upload_2021-2-20_10-20-36.png

18. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  19. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

20. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So the Lumineth are getting a new battletome less than a year after their original release? Why GW, why?