GW News: Lizard preview #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

That does seem a lot more user friendly lol.
    I tend to shop half and half (buy smaller bits at GW and the bigger/more plentiful stuff from eBay or elemental gaming) 20% off is always welcome :D

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Yeah it's pretty easy to get 20% off in the UK

3. Deed525
    Stegadon

Really want to create a trog army, but struggling to find a competitive/fun balance, hag is a must - couple of good synergies in there but just not enough meat lol

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

A place somewhat near me used to offer a 20% discount, but then GW came out with new rules and the discount was capped at 15%. Still not bad I suppose.

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

6. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Meh, on all counts.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

My sentiments exactly... but I thought I would share for those that might be interested.

At the end of the day, it is just more Space Marines. At least these are better than SCE ;)

8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

:wtf:

Never liked POP figures.

Really, considering that they are the new Primaris Marines and one of them is a Blood Angel? :vomit:

The only half-decent looking one is the Space Wolf and that’s only because they’re the most Dwarfish and Vikingy of all of them and his beard and hairdo hide the blockiness of POP figure heads.

9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Killer Angel likes this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Same reaction here.
    I don't know why, I don't understand what that could be good for, and I don't like how they look, also they are of course all members of the least interesting race of 40k, which also happens to not be a very appealing universe to me to begin with.

TL;DR: "Nope."

Edit: also, can anybody explain to me what a pop figure is? What is it used for?

12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I think they’re just collectible figures you put on display. That’s why I’m not keen on them - they’re not used for any sort of game and I don’t think they look particularly good. Their heads are too wide and blocky and their eyes are like a Barn Owl’s (read: pure black pupils) which just don’t look right to me. In any case, why have any of these when you can buy the miniatures (or in the case of other franchises like Star Wars, action figures)?

13. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I think they are aimed at youngsters, if you look at toys around the age 8-10 they all look like this big heads small bodies, lol dolls for example.

Do you think it's a way to bring younger players in?

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I never said I liked them... only that I like them better than SCE. I have no intention of buying any of them. If it was up to me, they would have been Necrons!

I can't really see it bringing in many new players, at least not directly. Two groups of people will buy them: 1. those that are already into 40k 2. those that are hardcore Pop collectors. One of those two are already in the GW ecosystem, while the other is unlikely to transition as their focus is elsewhere. I'm not saying that it won't draw in anyone at all, only that the effect will be negligible.

That said,it is a good move on GW's part. Easy money and it does help establish your brand as part of the mainstream.

15. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

I’ve never understood the appeal of Funko Pop models, but I get the sense there is a pretty large following for them, as there seems to be an awful lot. Presumably why Games Workshop made them.

16. Seraphandy
    Razordon

Seraphandy Well-Known Member

I will probably buy one for my modeling desk; I cant help but like pops. (They are 'toys', but im also painting space lizards, so.......). Hoping for some Age of Sigmar though.

17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I know - I was disputing whether they were really better than Sigmarines because they’re the cash-grab Primaris Marines from the abomination that is 8th Edition rather than the real McCoy, but each to their own *shrug*.

At least that’s one instance where we agree :) (they could have been Tyranids too - I’m sure they’ve done a POP of a Xenomorph so it’s possible)

[​IMG]

ChapterAquila92 and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

At least Space Marines are somewhat original. SCE are just a plain ripoff of Space Marines.

Primaris Marines are just Space Marines updated to match today's aesthetics. I see no real problem with them other than their over proliferation. As for 8th edition 40K, I have no clue. I haven't played 40k for over a decade.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  19. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I think @NIGHTBRINGER has covered the reasons pretty well. They just follow a trend of "Nerd Culture" by licensing computer games, animated series, comics, and now pop figures, to establish Warhammer as a franchise to a wider audience. Being well known helps their core goals. If someone knows something of the universe and discovers wargaming they will start Warhammer instead of something else.

They are probably very cheap to produce, with no high risk for GW as they most likely don't manufacture them themselves, they just gave the maker the license and market them.

20. Deed525
    Stegadon

God damn it, I was trying to fool myself into thinking it would cost too much to create an army from scatch...oh well by next pay check ;D