GW News: Lizard preview #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Honestly, they missed their change to update the slann when they updated Kroak. Having that be a dual-kit would've worked great.

Imrahil and Just A Skink like this.
  2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

But a standard Slann is inferior in rank to Kroak, and shouldn't have as glorious a model as Kroak's is.

Just A Skink likes this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Kairos and the lords of change do just fine having a dual model. And they're not the only ones :p
    Plus, there's plenty they could do to make Kroak stand out. The skink attendant, the crown on the throne, the throne itself, the burial mask, the artifacts he holds. There's plenty to make Kroak look fancier than a regular slann while still having a dual kit.

Imrahil and Just A Skink like this.
  4. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

I see where both @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl and @Canas are coming from. I think Kroak should look more impressive than the "standard" Slann. I also think GW could have made Kroak a dual kit, because it makes sense. But GW is a business and rarely misses an opportunity to make money. Why sell a dual Slann/Kroak kit when they can sell one of each? Plus, Kroak was kind of an updated hero "impulse buy." The teaser Slann throne looks bigger and a bit more impressive than the current one, so I imagine the model will increase to around $80 US (although I hope it stays around $60 US).

I would be satisfied if GW made it a Slann/Starseer kit, although that seems like more of a stretch than a Slann/Kroak kit.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    Noxolotl, Tk'ya'pyk and Imrahil like this.
  5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Honestly the biggest thing that annoys me about the slann not being a dual kit is that it basicly guarantees the slann wont become a centerpiece model, like kroak is. Which is just a shame.

Just A Skink likes this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

+1
    5lbf24.jpg

7. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I hope that that skink rider is Tichi Huichi and if we're lucky we'll get a horned cold ones unit as well.

8. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

No. Claws on Therizinosaurids are massive. The mount have big claws, but nowhere neat to the Therizino's scale.

[​IMG]

Either Tichi-Huichi Raiders or Inxi-Huinzi rehashes, but it's going to be quite an interesting thing to see.

On the other hand, maybe a Tetto'eko dual kit.

They are anyway; they don't need to be huge monsters, which we already have plenty of, to be centerpieces: being a giant magic toad on a floating stone throne above the heads of an army of lizardmen soldiers is already enough to make them stand out.

*Inxi-Huinzi. He's the single hero, the unit is Tichi-Huichi Raiders. And it would be extremely weird that out of all the named characters from the Lizardmen roster it Inxi the one to come back first, more when he was saw for the last time all the way back on 5E, and I mean, lately there have been some 5E references, but considering pretty much all the 8E named characters became generic heroes for AoS and such...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

They stand out by virtue of having a very different profile, but they are absolutely not a centerpiece type model.

Even if you limit yourself to the smaller heroes, and ignore the behemoths, the current slann sculpt has nothing going on. Its static, with little to no adornments.

They dont need to be giant behemoths, though I do think the Kroak model captures the idea of suprême magic being quite well. But at the very least we should get a sculpt where theyre doing something, like say the mortisan boneshaper or soulmason who are modelled in the middle of doing some magic.

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Proud. Stoic. Timeless.

Not every model needs to be gigantic, leaping off a rock or have a bunch of detritus floating around it.

11. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

I agree, if there has to be something dynamic on the sculpt, I think it should be the skink attendant or magical effects
    (Kroak is not doing anything either in the new sculpt).

ChapterAquila92 and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  12. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

While I don't dislike the current model, and the lore behind it's stoic and focused pose, I'm not opposed to seeing a Slann model with a slightly more "active" pose. Perhaps similar to some of these images of the Slann casting? From the teaser silhouette, it does look like the Slann's throne is going to be a bit busier, with more horns/tusks and vines. Regardless, I also hope that the model doesn't become too busy, just for the sake of being busy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Don't get me started on the Soulmason. It's basically a Slann rip-off... but with legs? I couldn't remember the Boneshaper model. In looking it up, I found this great alternate pose where someone has it dabbing". :D

[​IMG]

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

What about this guy?...

[​IMG]

A fair point.

Since I already own the current sculpt, I'd be curious to see what GW can come up with. If it's epic, then I'll add to my already considerable Slann collection!

15. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

That's what i call "a reasonable stance". :D

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I doubt it will fit on a 50mmx50mm base though. :(

17. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

Draw me like one of your French dishes!

18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The slann doesn't need to be jumping. Just have something going on. Some details the eyes can be drawn to. Anything whatsoever.
    A skink attendant handing over a relic, temple guard standing in formation around them, a spell being cast, some small details like the frog peeking out in the example you have.

Just something.

19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

O it isnt a pretty model, and its pretty Silly, but at least its visually interesting with something going on.

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I think it is a great model just the way it is. He looks contemplative and almost otherworldly.

That's exactly what you have...

upload_2023-1-3_12-51-19.png
    upload_2023-1-3_12-54-24.png
    upload_2023-1-3_12-55-10.png

Noxolotl, Tk'ya'pyk, Imrahil and 4 others like this.