GW News: SKAVEN VICTORY! #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

But how much would the complaining actually affect AoS sales? And even if true, wouldn't the grumbling simply be shifted towards The Old World not being supported properly?

J.Logan likes this.
  2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Plus (if i'm not wrong) a good chunk of GW's income from selling things, comes from manuals. Models is just a part of it

J.Logan likes this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Difficult to quanitify; but what's worth considering is that these complaints tend to get artificially boosted (similar to stuff like review bombing).
    Which creates very visible complaints. For example, GW doesn't want the most liked comment under a instagram post on AoS to be about WHF. That doesn't look good. Even if it's difficult to quantify how much it actually affects sales.

Sure, but hopefully they'll then do it under ToW posts on instagram in their own little corner of the internet; where they don't get in the way of AoS.

Very cynically put; it's a playpen to dump the grumbling greybeards in so they don't annoy the other customers :p

J.Logan likes this.
  4. J.Logan
    Cold One

J.Logan Well-Known Member

Also an optimistic prediction if that is what they intend, since when have any grumbling greybeards ever been content to sit in their corner? Even now, I still see on Reddit grumblers from WFB or AoS go over to the other's subreddit to have a grumble. They want to be heard while grumbling, so they'll not sit there grumbling away to an audience of none.

I think the word "grumbling" has lost its meaning with how often I just typed it out.

*grumble grumble*

5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I mean, it's a plan made by managers and the marketing department.
    Did you expect it to be an amazing plan? :p

In all seriousness though; if the goal is just to make it limit 99% of the grumbling to the playpen so customers can largely ignore it it's probably sufficient. The occasional greybeard can gently be guided back to his corner and won't draw too much attention :p

J.Logan likes this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

If we're being accurate, seeing as you've presented no evidence to support the claim, it's technically a plan conceived by you. :D

I find it highly suspect to suggest that GW would invest money, store space, production resources and focus to release a game purely as attempt to silence the "old grumblers". For one, I don't think the small number of "old grumblers" will actually have any sort of significant impact on AoS sales. Are you going to stop playing/buying AoS because someone dedicated to rank-and-file wargaming says something negative about your game? Second, you can't stop internet grumbling. The more one tries, the worse it becomes. The internet is undefeated. It's simply best to ignore it and work to make your game the very best it can be. Lastly, it is far more plausible that GW wanted to capture some of the Total War hype (which they bungled the timing on) and claw back a portion of the rank-and-file market share that they sacrificed.

The fact that TOW (at least up until now) seems like a botched release, is a different story entirely.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

8. J.Logan
    Cold One

Whoop! Not that I care overmuch about the Dawi, my Old World army, when not putting my scaly bois on movement trays, is an Empire army.

But any step forward is a step I will Whoop about.

9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I was going to post this in triumph but your return from retirement beat me to it!

Looking forward to seeing these Dawi goodies come out!

10. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

I'm really not fond of the new take on slayers.

11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I am really tempted by this classic (and once rare) model

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

A "new" for your collection?

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

So, after the Dwarfs, which TOW army do we think might be next? Five more to choose from (Warriors of Chaos, Wood Elves, High Elves, Empire or Beastmen).

14. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

I'd be longing for High Elves if I didn't already have nearly everything I need, but I wouldn't put it past them to leave the knife-ears to the end and do Empire instead.

15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Details :p

It's an easy scapegoat whenever sales are dissapointing because it's impossible to measure the actual effect.
    Plus, the grumbling is very visible, which makes it easy to sell a solution to corporate.

I think it's less about stopping the internet from grumbling, and more about putting them in their own little ToW bubble where they can grumble away, so GW doesn't have to spend time and effort keeping the AoS bubble clean.

When the initially revealed TOW it seemed that way.
    But TOW is so disconnected from TW that it is looking less plausible by the minute.

Well, the alternative to my rather cynical read would be "whoever is in charge of TOW is comically incompetent". So there is always that :p

16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

My hope is for Beasty Boys obviously, but a couple of weeks back on holiday I went into a FLGS in one of the towns I was visiting and met the chap who worked there, really nice bloke and a fellow Old World fan (whose AoS scene has pretty much died a death now that TOW is in town, as the only AoS players to play at his store were ex-Fantasy players who immediately converted to TOW when it arrived :D). He claims to know someone who works behind the scenes at GeeDubs who believes that the release schedule below, which was believed to be fake, is closer to the truth than many know, and that Warriors of Chaos and High Elves will be next up for a release:

[​IMG]

Given that the most recent faction released was a Good faction and we've started to see a pattern of alternating Good and Evil factions, this means Warriors of Chaos will be next if he is right, then High Elves, then probably Beastmen. But who knows whether he will be proven right?

I was expecting an announcement of the next faction this week now that Dwarfs have been announced to be coming out, but they may decide to postpone it in favour of the inevitably crap-value AoS 4th Edition starter sets announcement that is definitely coming.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

To be frank, given how AoS 4th Edition has so little that's new about it and largely continues the flaws of 3rd, and how reception of it so far seems to have largely been lukewarm apart from the small core of AoS superfans out there, they can't be any more incompetent than the AoS developers right now :cool:

18. WildColonial Boy
    Bastiladon

WildColonial Boy Well-Known Member

These are really old school. Like late 80's
    [​IMG]

19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Mwha, most of 4th is fine-ish. There's even some pretty neat stuff; like the QoL improvements, and it does seem to have smoothed over some of the rough edges from 3th.

upload_2024-7-15_11-40-34.png

The biggest problem is GW's constant refusal to actually explain the how & why of the changes.
    So a lot of it is just kind of confusing; especially for the more confusing choices (e.g. the change to spells being army-wide instead of picking a spell per wizard is great. But why do they only contain 3 spells? Especially for magic factions like Tzeentch or Seraphon.)

But yeah, this has not been a particularly strong year for GW so far :p

20. J.Logan
    Cold One

I stare at that possible roadmap, and think... I can see it. But I hate that it is claiming the Empire will be the last to get a release. Alas, the constant issue with any Warhammer game... Waiting for the support for YOUR army.

I wish at the very least true release the arcane journals separately from the model releases, so we can get them quicker and actually have all our options to plan out or use placeholders in friendly games. That's all I need from GeeDubs.

Canas likes this.